Designer Support when Inheriting from a Base Page Class

thechaosengine

Hi all,

I wanted to put some common security functions into a class that inherits
from the Page class and then use the new class as the basis for all my pages.

Unfortunately, if I try and inherit from my new SecurePage class and not
the old Page class, the designer breaks and will only allow me into html
mode. Bugger.

The error message given is:

* The designer could not be shown for this file because none of the classes
within it can be designed. The designer inspected the following classes
in the file:
* Login --- The base class 'ChaosTracker.UI.SecurePage' could not be loaded.

I know its possible to carry on without designer support but I can't really
be bothered with that carry on.

Does anyone know if its possible to get designer support back when inheriting
from custom base page classes

Thanks all

Kindest Regards

tce

jasonkester

Strange. All my pages derive from custom page classes, and I have no
problem bringing them up in the Designer. (now, getting them back
intact from the "Smart" auto-mangle is another matter!)

So yeah, it should be possible. Stupid question, but have you compiled
this new class yet? Referenced the project from which it comes?
Re-installed your OS from scratch, Re-installed VS.NET, and Re-built
the project from the ground up? Sometimes, that's the only way to get
things to work!

Jason Kester
Expat Software Consulting Services
http://www.expatsoftware.com/

Guest

--
John@Work

Scott Allen said:
Any chance your base class is marked as abstract (aka MustInherit)?

--
Scott
http://www.OdeToCode.com/blogs/scott/

I am having the same problem. I am working on a dotNetNuke project. If I inherit from a class that I create, everything compiles and runs fine, but I cannot open the user control in web forms designer anymore.

Here is the user control (child) class statement:

Public MustInherit Class EventManagementListingEdit
Inherits eventManagementListingBase

Here is the base class (parent) class statement:

Public Class eventManagementListingBase
Inherits Entities.Modules.PortalModuleBase