Designing an ASP.NET wizard?

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Edward, Jun 17, 2009.

  1. Edward

    Edward Guest

    My client has asked me to design an application where adding a new
    record will be like a "Wizard".

    Obviously my initial thought was to do the usual Windows Forms thing
    of navigating backwards and forwards through a series of discrete
    forms, holding the users's hand through the process.

    My second thought was to use a single form with successive <div>
    blocks that would be revealed or hidden according to the navigation
    instruction.

    Are there any codified rules or guidelines on the best way to approach
    the creation of this kind of applet? I want to give the client value
    for money but also want to maximise my own profits. In case it makes
    any difference, the application is to do with applications to open an
    account, and the wizard will guide the user through the various
    criteria that may or may not result in the application being accepted,
    refused or referred elsewhere.

    Thanks

    Edward

    Edward, Jun 17, 2009

  2. Why don't you use the existing asp:Wizard control? It became available
    in the Framework 2.0, and it gives you a series of "containers" for the
    various steps, as well as the usual navigation options to jump from step to
    step.

    Alberto Poblacion, Jun 17, 2009

  3. Edward

    Edward Guest

    Thanks Alberto - I wasn't even aware of its existence. I'll go away now and
    see what it does.

    Edward

    Edward, Jun 18, 2009