Desktop multi-plataform ruby app

Israel Guerra

Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

Thanks and best regards.

Charles Oliver Nutter

Israel said:
Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars

- Charlie

James Britt

Israel said:
Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

JRuby + Monkeybars + NetBeans GUI editor = Massive Win

http://www.monkeybars.org

Super-easy GUI app development, plus you can use rawr for snap-simple
packaging for multiple platforms.

There is nothing better.

James Britt

Charles said:
JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars

- Charlie

What he said. :)

If you have questions, jump on #monkeybars on irc; the Monkeybars squad
is usually about and very happy to answer questions.

There's also a mailing list, or just write me (or David or Logan) directly.

Israel Guerra

But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running in
the jvm isnt it?

So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Just want to make things clear :)
It sounds weird at the beginning... hehe

Charles Oliver Nutter

Israel said:
But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running in
the jvm isnt it?

So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Yeah, but that's a pretty minor requirement. There's free (as in beer
AND speech) JVMs easily installable on any plaform (including through
the usual packaging mechanisms).

- Charlie

Israel Guerra

Indeed.
I was thinking about the efficiency.

The question would be: If i will use a JVM, is it worth using an interpreter
running on another interpreter just because i want to program in ruby?

It's probabily ok for small and non processing demanding apps.
:)

But guys, maybe im wrong about jruby, but its a ruby interpreter running
in
the jvm isnt it?

So the final app needs a jvm (obviously), am i right?

Yeah, but that's a pretty minor requirement. There's free (as in beer AND
speech) JVMs easily installable on any plaform (including through the usual
packaging mechanisms).

- Charlie
[/QUOTE]

James Britt

Israel said:
Indeed.
I was thinking about the efficiency.

The question would be: If i will use a JVM, is it worth using an interpreter
running on another interpreter just because i want to program in ruby?

It's probabily ok for small and non processing demanding apps.
:)

Actually, JRuby may be faster than C Ruby. Not sure if that's true for
all possible code, but so far I've not noticed any issues. And since I
can use any Java lib out there, I've saved myself all sort sorts of work
and headaches by avoiding incomplete or non-existent Ruby libs for
some tasks.

My guess is speed of the underlying mechanisms will not be your problem.

Israel Guerra

Oki doki!

Will study monkeybars a bit and try to work with it! :)

Thanks for tips!

Victor Reyes

Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me
creating
the visual part.

JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars

- Charlie
[/QUOTE]
Can JRuby coexist with C-Ruby?
Does anyone have any performance numbers of Ruby vs JRuby?
Would any JRuby appl with GUI run on any *NIX server that supports Java?
Is there a drag and drop widgets creation GUI design under JRuby with Swing?
I think VxRuby or something to that effect is the only GUI environment that
offers drag/drop widget creation. Not sure though!
Currently I am running Ruby 1.8.7 and on some servers I am playing 1.9. What
is the equivalent version of JRuby to the latest level of Ruby?
How far behind is JRuby from Ruby (C-Ruby)?
If I am not mistaken, Monkeybars is only an MS/Windows appl, correct?

Thank you

Victor

Israel Guerra

I hardly believe that an interpreter made in java running on a jvm will be
as fast as a C interpreter.

1 thing could cause that and would be a very bad work made on the CRuby and
i don't believe that's the case.

The truth is that the convenience of the JRuby is ok for most end uses.

Victor said:
JRuby + Swing + NetBeans Matisse + MonkeyBars

- Charlie
Can JRuby coexist with C-Ruby?[/QUOTE]

Yes, more or less. There are jruby equivalents of gem, rake, and I
rename them to jgem and jrake so that I don't accidentally call the
wrong one.

Does anyone have any performance numbers of Ruby vs JRuby?
Would any JRuby appl with GUI run on any *NIX server that supports Java?

Should. If the app bundles up the needed jars (swing, or swingx, for
example) to handle the UI then all the end user needs is a jre.
Is there a drag and drop widgets creation GUI design under JRuby with Swing?

The Matisse GUI editor than comes with NetBeans 6, all free, is great.
I think VxRuby or something to that effect is the only GUI environment that
offers drag/drop widget creation. Not sure though!

You get that from Matisse as well.
Currently I am running Ruby 1.8.7 and on some servers I am playing 1.9. What
is the equivalent version of JRuby to the latest level of Ruby?

Um, 1.8.6, though I *think* there are some things planned for 1.9 that
are already in JRuby (such as hash.first).
How far behind is JRuby from Ruby (C-Ruby)?

Charlie should answer that one, but people are using it for production apps.
If I am not mistaken, Monkeybars is only an MS/Windows appl, correct?

Oh, far from it. I develop on Kubuntu, David and Logan are on Macs,
and our main customer is all WinXP.

It really is cross-platform.

Monkeybars is Ruby code that knows how to hook into Swing via JRuby and
wicked use of Java reflection.

Also check out rawr, a tool that helps in packaging and deploying JRuby
apps.

http://gitorious.org/projects/rawr

Victor Reyes

--
James Britt

James,

Thank you very much for your time an explanations.
It looks like by switching to JRuby one would actually gain functionalities.
Also, since at the moment I don't have any truly number crunching appls
which would really benefit from a faster Ruby, I would give JRuby a try this
weekend.
I guess I would have to uninstall Ruby. That's not a big deal!

Again, thank you for your time and consideration.

Victor

mdiam

I guess I would have to uninstall Ruby. That's not a big deal!

No, jruby executable is call jruby!

Just unarchive the last jruby distrib and add the bin/jruby to your
PATH. Then you can use either old ruby or new jruby as you like.

You also can start your jruby script with the firt line:
#!/usr/bin/env jruby
as any standard unix script.

If you alreadu have some (non gui) ruby script, you
can just replace "ruby" by "jruby" is the first line
and see by your self the performance.

(but jruby is still a litle slower than ruby at startup time, because
of the JVM)

- Maurice

Tristin Davis

Try FXRuby

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 10:14 AM, Hassan Schroeder <

Tom Cloyd

James said:
JRuby + Monkeybars + NetBeans GUI editor = Massive Win

http://www.monkeybars.org

Super-easy GUI app development, plus you can use rawr for snap-simple
packaging for multiple platforms.

There is nothing better.
This all sounds very interesting, and I want to investigate it, but I
dread having to deal with the java monster. I've been there before.
Forty-five+ versions, all with 26 letter names, and documentation that
requires a masters in CS to decypher. I simply cannot know everything,
and I'm pretty committed in a couple of other fields. Still, I have
programming to get done, and drag and drop GUI that doesn't require yet
another book to read would be a blessing.

So, onward, again. I try to install Netbeans 6 for Linux. Says it want a
JDK (the dread starts now). I'm on Kubuntu, so I go to Adept, find
sun-jave6-jdk - nothing else looks more likely - and install it. Now
Netbeans says it can't find it and I need to point the way. Huh? Don't
have a clue.

Looking at the helpful (?) installed files list under the tab of the
same name in I see a long file list. Nothing seems clearly the answer to
Netbeans problems, so I throw a number of possibilities at it. Nothing
works. Sigh.

Could someone who knows more please give me a clue here? I'm be most
grateful.

t.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)

Michael Brooks

Israel said:
Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

Thanks and best regards.

Hello Israel:

I haven't written tons of apps with it but wxRuby (
http://wxruby.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl ) has been working well for me
on both Linux and Windows. Unfortunately I haven't found a nice way to
do GUI building part visually.

Michael

Hassan Schroeder

So, onward, again. I try to install Netbeans 6 for Linux. Says it want a JDK
(the dread starts now). I'm on Kubuntu, so I go to Adept, <snip/>

:preface => I hate *nix package managers :)

I think you'd be better off downloading a JDK from Sun and installing
it the normal way, so you /know/ where it's located. Then the rest of
the NetBeans install should be a piece of cake...

FWIW,

Israel Guerra

I would recommend the same.

There is also the command whereis:

whereis java

I can't remember, but i think it shows only where the binary is. Anyway you
could try that.