Desktop multi-plataform ruby app

James Britt

Leslie said:
I'd seriously like to know how to continue here. Either I missed a tutorial page
somewhere or the tutorials stop short of actually building a form and connecting
it to the Ruby program. Did I miss something?

Possibly. The monkeybars site has a screencast walking though the
coding of an app, including creating a form and wiring it up.

If you have more problems, please contact me directly, or post questions
to the monkeybars list.

--
James Britt

James Britt

Michael said:
Which network? Freenode? The #monkeybars channel there has no topic
and one person idling in it. :)

Well, it's Sunday, and I just got back home. I confess that IRC support
on the weekends is less than ideal.

Folks can E-mail me if they can't get help on irc.

--
James Britt

Tom Cloyd

James said:
Well, it's Sunday, and I just got back home. I confess that IRC
support on the weekends is less than ideal.

Folks can E-mail me if they can't get help on irc.
James, you're an amazing fellow!

t.

Tom Cloyd, MS MA, LMHC
Private practice Psychotherapist
Bellingham, Washington, U.S.A: (360) 920-1226
<< (e-mail address removed) >> (email)
<< TomCloyd.com >> (website & psychotherapy weblog)
<< sleightmind.wordpress.com >> (mental health issues weblog)
<< directpathdesign.com >> (web site design & consultation)

James Britt

Tom said:
James, you're an amazing fellow!

Thank you.

Truth is, I hang with amazing people and some of it rubs off.

:)

--
James Britt

- Benjamin Franklin, when asked about static typing
(and a tip of the hat to raganwald)

mail

[Note:  parts of this message were removed to make it a legal post.]

Hail everyone!

This is my first post here. :)

I want to develop a desktop app that runs in either linux or windows.
I have many doubts about which GUI i should use. What's the best option? I
heard about wxwidgets or tk, but have no idea of what i should use.

I would prefer something that has a graphical app that can help me creating
the visual part.

Thanks and best regards.

QT, Ruby and Rubyscript2exe is a great combination. There is qt
designer for building the gui. The widgets look good on windows. All
that is required to get started on windows:

*)download the one click installer
*)download and install the qtruby gem

The only disadvantage that i can see:

*)is the licensing if you are not developing open source software.
*)once the script is packaged (so that you can use it on other PCs)
using rubyscript2exe there is a few seconds delay before the app is
loaded.

Mark

David Koontz

I'd seriously like to know how to continue here. Either I missed a
tutorial page
somewhere or the tutorials stop short of actually building a form
and connecting
it to the Ruby program. Did I miss something?

Les

There are a few example projects on the site: http://monkeybars.rubyforge.org/examples.html
These are also part of the source repository in the examples
directory: http://gitorious.org/projects/monkeybars/repos/mainline/trees/master/examples

As for the tutorial pages just leaving off, this is my fault. I got
the pages for installing Netbeans and configuring your environment but
didn't get back to getting into the usage of Monkeybars. I will be
working on that today and will send out an announcement to our mailing
list when it is uploaded. There is a form to join the mailing list
here: http://monkeybars.rubyforge.org/docs.html

Thank you for your patience.

David Koontz

David Koontz

Dear Monkeybars developers,

how did you produce the videos ?

Thanks.

Best regards,

Axel
--

They were made using Snapz Pro X for recording and Quicktime Pro for
splicing/cropping.

David Koontz