Developing a "google-like" search engine for intranet

Alastair

Hello guys,

I've been building a search facility for an intranet site I'm part of
developing and we've been building a search engine using Index Server.
It mostly works, however there have been a few niggling problems and
fixing it seems to be a case of patching errors as we find them so I'm
thinking that it might be worth starting the logic from scratch and
rebuilding this again.

Basically we have a simple search, which is simply a text box with a
submit button. I would like some boolean search functionality, ie.
search term - would search for all items, search OR term - would search
for documents containing either words, search AND NOT term - and so on.
We also have an advanced search, with a number of fields - 'all words',
'any words', 'exact phrase' and 'not containing'. Does anyone have any
information on building this kind of search, either sample code or
simply just a text on how someone might have done this kind of thing.
I've had a good look around and am yet to find what I'm looking for.
Must have been done a million times before though!

Cheers and thanks in advance.

Alastair

McKirahan

Alastair said:
[...]

Why not use Google:

The fastest and easiest way to implement Google WebSearch is our
copy-and-paste Google Free web search service. There's no application
process and it costs nothing to add Google WebSearch and optional Google
SiteSearch to your site. Just a few lines of HTML copied onto your site and
your users have access to a Google search of the web. With an additional
couple of steps, you can add your logo and customizations to the search
results pages. This service can be up and running in five minutes, and is
available for businesses of all sizes.

(Google reserves the right to sell ads on all Google Free search results
pages.)

Google Free is search that's fast, easy and yes, absolutely free

Treat your visitors to the same search service you use yourself. With Google
Free, it costs nothing to provide Google search results to users who want to
search the web or just your website.

http://www.google.com/searchcode.html

Thomas

google won't index an intRAnet - except if you buy one of the quite
expensive appliance boxes from google ;-)

unfortunately i won't be a big help for the initial poster as i have some
index server query problems as well - my index server refuses to do wildcard
searches.

- thomas

Jeff Cochran

[...]

Ask in the Index Server group and you'll get plenty of help. Or check
the MSDN references for Indeing Services, you can modify the query
with Boolean terms quite easily.

When you post, tell them whether you're using an IDQ file or not, and
give a snippet of your code that builds your current query string.

Jeff