disabling mouse wheel scroll in drop-down list?

effendi

Is it possible for me to disable the wheel scroll in a mouse when user
click on a drop-down list?

Thanks

Bart Van der Donck

Henrik said:
(e-mail address removed) skrev:

Short answer: no

It's possible. I suppose the OP means <SELECT SIZE=1> with "drop-down
list". FF&&NS do not react on wheel events on such elements, so no
problem there. As for MSIE (6+),

<select size="1" onMouseWheel="return false;">

should do.

Randy Webb

Bart Van der Donck said the following on 10/18/2006 5:34 AM:
It's possible. I suppose the OP means <SELECT SIZE=1> with "drop-down
list". FF&&NS do not react on wheel events on such elements, so no
problem there. As for MSIE (6+),

<select size="1" onMouseWheel="return false;">

Test that in a decent browser :)
should do.

That is about as anal as anything in the world though. If a user wants
to scroll with the mouse wheel, then it seems anally anti-user friendly
to disable that.

But, it is now added to my bookmarklet to reenable *my* IE to work the
way *I* want it to work.

Best solution: Design your app in a sensible manner so that my mouse
wheel doesn't screw it up.

Henrik Stidsen

Randy Webb skrev:
Best solution: Design your app in a sensible manner so that my mouse
wheel doesn't screw it up.

Agreed - but actually its often the browsers fault that the scrollwheel
screws up anything.

Bart Van der Donck

Randy said:
Bart Van der Donck said the following on 10/18/2006 5:34 AM:

Test that in a decent browser :)

That is about as anal as anything in the world though. If a user wants
to scroll with the mouse wheel, then it seems anally anti-user friendly
to disable that.

A classic Ignoratio Elenchi. I don't say anything about where/how/if
the onMouseWheel-event should be used. My suggestion is a sheer
technical and practical answer to the original question; and IE-FF-NS
are quite decent browsers.

Randy Webb

Bart Van der Donck said the following on 10/19/2006 3:47 AM:
A classic Ignoratio Elenchi.

Perhaps, but who cares?
I don't say anything about where/how/if the onMouseWheel-event should be
used.

You didn't discourage it's use either.
My suggestion is a sheer technical and practical answer to the original question;

Technical answer, yes. Practical answer, no.
and IE-FF-NS are quite decent browsers.

One out of 3 isn't bad.
Of the 3 you mention though, only one supports screwing with my mouse wheel.

Randy Webb

Henrik Stidsen said the following on 10/19/2006 3:12 AM:
Randy Webb skrev:

Agreed - but actually its often the browsers fault that the scrollwheel
screws up anything.

No, it is the programmer who screws it up, the browser only does what it
is told to do. And by not understanding that, it doesn't make it the
"browsers fault" that you want behavior different from what the browser
provides.

Bart Van der Donck

Randy said:
Bart Van der Donck said the following on 10/19/2006 3:47 AM:

Perhaps, but who cares?

Another Ignoratio Elenchi :)
You didn't discourage it's use either.

True, since I did not make any statement about it.
Technical answer, yes. Practical answer, no.

Practical in a sense that it's intended for immediate use on his page.

Henrik Stidsen

Randy Webb skrev:
No, it is the programmer who screws it up, the browser only does what it
is told to do. And by not understanding that, it doesn't make it the
"browsers fault" that you want behavior different from what the browser
provides.

Scenario:
A radiobutton group on a website.
The user selects an option and scrolls the wheel to scroll the page.
The browser instead changes his selection to the last radiobutton and
then scrolls the page.

Whos fault ? The guy who made the website ? The browser ? The User ?

And yes, this actually happens in some browsers, It might be the mouse
driver thats faulty - but thats not the programmers fault either.

ASM

Henrik Stidsen a écrit :
Scenario:
A radiobutton group on a website.
The user selects an option and scrolls the wheel to scroll the page.
The browser instead changes his selection to the last radiobutton and
then scrolls the page.

Whos fault ? The guy who made the website ? The browser ? The User ?

And yes, this actually happens in some browsers, It might be the mouse
driver thats faulty - but thats not the programmers fault either.

can you give an url where that happens ?
(natural change of selected button when scroll by mousewheel)

Henrik Stidsen

ASM skrev:
can you give an url where that happens ?
(natural change of selected button when scroll by mousewheel)

Sorry no, not at the moment. But I do know that it was a problem with
the Cisco CCNA online tests at the school where I took them.

Kevin Darling

ASM said:
Henrik Stidsen a écrit :

can you give an url where that happens ?
(natural change of selected button when scroll by mousewheel)

This happens to me all the time at tvguide.com. I'll click the
pulldown to change the start time of the show grid, then without
thinking, use the mouse wheel to scroll down. Of course, because the
focus is still on the select box, it changes the selection instead.
Tvguide.com then goes into fits trying to keep up with my changing
start time. Practically locks me up. Hate it!

Kev

Kevin Darling

Kevin said:
This happens to me all the time at tvguide.com.

Ooops. Didn't notice the "radiobutton" thingie. Still, I wish tvguide
had a select for the start time, and then a Go button like many
websites. I know they're trying to help speed things up, but boy it's
so easy to mouse-wheel into trouble ;-)

Or, for that matter, use the arrow keys to scroll into trouble as well!

Kev

Markus Ernst

Kevin said:
Ooops. Didn't notice the "radiobutton" thingie. Still, I wish tvguide
had a select for the start time, and then a Go button like many
websites. I know they're trying to help speed things up, but boy it's
so easy to mouse-wheel into trouble ;-)

Or, for that matter, use the arrow keys to scroll into trouble as well!

I agree that this wheel behaviour on form elements is disturbing, but I
also agree with most posters that this is no reason to try changing the
user interface.

Might be a good idea to post a feature request to Mozilla? Scrolling an
element if the pointer is over the element that has the focus, and
scrolling the page if the pointer is somewhere else would IMO be a
consistent behaviour.