Displaying XML as HTML in a popup

Discussion in 'ASP .Net' started by Rusty, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Hi, our intranet web site needs to add this feature. I've got the
    components but just need the last step to get it going.

    Here's the setup.
    1) a user clicks on a link which calls a web service (I will use AJAX if
    necessary)
    2) the web service returns a string datatype which is filled with
    well-formed XML
    3) I have an XSLT transform which outputs HTML (i tested it with a tool
    called XFactor (www.nombas.com). Pretty cool tool, I write XML & XSLT
    and it transforms the output for me!
    4) (this is where I can't put it all together). I want to take the XML
    string from the web serivce, transform it with a XSLT (which is in a
    folder on the web server) and open it as a popup. Here is how I open a
    different popup from javascript. I like the options and would like to
    do the same with this dynamic HTML that's created
    window.open("example.aspx?id=2","Example","width=550,height=400,left=80,
    top=20,toolbar=1,location=1,directories=0,status=1,menuBar=1,scrollBars=
    2,resizable=1");

    Can someone help me "put it all together" (1) the transform piece with
    the web service's xml and (2) the popup piece of the transformed HTML?

    Thanks so much!
    Rusty

    Rusty, Apr 24, 2006

  2. Rusty

    Guest Guest

    Rusty,
    I think what you really need to do here is have the popup load an ASPX Page
    that does the webservice call, loads the XSL stylesheet, does the transform,
    and then emits the resultant HTML into your popup.

    Plenty of sample code around on how to do XSLT transforms in ASP.NET without
    having to resort to "third party tools".
    Peter

    Guest, Apr 24, 2006

  3. Rusty

    Rusty Guest

    Peter, thanks a bunch. So the linkbutton opens the popup with the
    settings I want. The codebehind calls the web service, transforms the
    XML with the XSLT, and does a write to the screen of the html. Sounds
    good. My XSLT returns all of the html, including the html, head, body,
    etc. tags. Sounds like I can leave that out and just write to the
    screen. Can you pass me any good code to do the transform of the XML
    using the XSLT and the write to the page piece? Thanks!

    Rusty, Apr 24, 2006
  4. Rusty

    Guest Guest

    Guest, Apr 25, 2006