DIVs not showing up in IE

jaschreiber

Hi,
I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
out what's wrong?

the page is in QA at http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

best,
jason

BootNic

(e-mail address removed) wrote: 57g2000hsv.googlegroups.com:
Hi,
I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
out what's wrong?

the page is in QA at http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

Replace:
<script type="text/javascript" src="utilities/scripts.js" />
with:
<script type="text/javascript" src="utilities/scripts.js"></script>

--
BootNic Wednesday, August 08, 2007 6:41 PM

"My God! The thought of that evil man, loose in London--with money,
from God only knows what source--fomenting riot and rebellion during
a public emergency--and in control of an Engine-driven press! It's
nightmarish!"
*Gibson-Sterling*

Neredbojias

Well bust mah britches and call me cheeky, on Wed, 08 Aug 2007 22:16:09 GMT
scribed:
Hi,
I'm working on a website that is has one main div that contains all
the page elements, and a single background image behind it. the site
works great in Mozilla, Safari, Opera, etc, and according to
Dreamweaver there are no browser compatibility issues with IE either,
but for some reason the only thing that displays in IE is the
background image. no main div, no nothing. totally empty page. the
CSS validates, the HTML validates (except for some minor things that i
would be shocked if were the problem)... anyone able to help me figure
out what's wrong?

the page is in QA at http://www.octotronic.com/jeanschreiber/test.html

Ie doesn't do xhtml.

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

The page is being served as "Content-Type: text/html" so there is some
other problem in there. Internet Explorer will throw up if you do really
serve XHTML as "application/xhtml+xml"
thank you!!

Instead of just commenting out the DOCTYPE - which throws browsers into
quirks mode, you should switch to HTML 4.01 Strict. This is a new page,
correct? You only use Transitional when you are .. well .. Transitioning
a legacy document and you don't want to update all the presentational
HTML yet.

Now, about all those microfonts, see this as well, and also note the
section on Verdana:
http://k75s.home.att.net/fontsize.html
Your little font size switcher fails if JavaScript is disabled or
stripped by my corporate firewall. Just use 100% and everyone gets their
own chosen size.

Your attempt at pixel-perfect design is bound to fail in some
situations...

Please don't top-post. Thanks for your consideration.