Do the javax.imageio packages replace packages in com.sun.image?

Paul Smith

Hello All,

I am a little confused by the plethora of image packages around.
Searching through this newsgroup for how to manipulate jpegs, create
thumbnail images etc., I have found that most of the advice given
incorporates the use of JPEGImageEncoder and various other classes
from the com.sun.image.codec.jpeg package.

My Java book that I have in front of me states that the packages under
javax.imageio (and in particular the javax.imageio.ImageIO class) will
provide everything you need to do with images. The document from Sun
entitled "Java Image I/O API Guide" states:
"It offers substantially more flexibility and power than the
previously available APIs for loading and saving images."

Are the "previously available" packages it's talking about the
com.sun.image.* classes and packages?

So in summary, my questions are:
(1) Do the javax.imageio classes and packages supersede the
com.sun.image classes and packages?
(2) If they do, and my book states that the javax.imageio is *nearly*
everything that's needed, what is it lacking? i.e. What other packages
go to make up the complete Java image manipulation suite?

Thank you,
Paul