DocumentBuilder object is not able to parse a XML String which has a nodename which contains forward

Ed

Hi All,

In my code below, I do have a XML String which has NodeName made of
two words split by a Forward Slash. Here it is: Number/Subsystem.

Is there anyway to make the DocumentBuilder object to parse XML String
and the Forward Slash, successfully?
I added this like of the code but it's not working:

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number\"/
\"Subsystem");

Here is my code below:
------------------------------------

String XMLString = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?>"

+"<computerPart>"
+"<Number/Subsystem>9</Number/Subsystem>"
+"</computerPart>";

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number\"/
\"Subsystem");

DocumentBuilderFactory factory = DocumentBuilderFactory.newInstance();
DocumentBuilder builder = null;
try {
builder = factory.newDocumentBuilder();
} catch (ParserConfigurationException ex7) {
}

Document XMLStringToDOM= null;
try {
XMLStringToDOM = builder.parse(new InputSource(new
StringReader(XMLString.toString())));
} catch (IOException ex8) {
} catch (SAXException ex8) {
}

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Ed said:
In my code below, I do have a XML String which has NodeName made of
two words split by a Forward Slash. Here it is: Number/Subsystem.

Is there anyway to make the DocumentBuilder object to parse XML String
and the Forward Slash, successfully?
I added this like of the code but it's not working:

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number\"/
\"Subsystem");

Here is my code below:
------------------------------------

String XMLString = "<?xml version=\"1.0\" encoding=\"ISO-8859-1\"?>"

+"<computerPart>"
+"<Number/Subsystem>9</Number/Subsystem>"
+"</computerPart>";

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number\"/
\"Subsystem");

/ is not valid in XML names - see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-Name

I do not understand your replace.

Do you mean:

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number.Subsystem");

?

Arne

Ed

/ is not valid in XML names - see:
http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-xml/#NT-Name

I do not understand your replace.

Do you mean:

XMLString = XMLString.replaceAll("Number/Subsystem","Number.Subsystem");

?

Arne

Arne,

I need to keep that Forward Slash as it is in the NodeName.
Is there away to make the DocumentBuilder object, not to complain
about that Forward Slash, when parsing the XMLString?

Thanks!
Ed

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Ed said:
I need to keep that Forward Slash as it is in the NodeName.
Is there away to make the DocumentBuilder object, not to complain
about that Forward Slash, when parsing the XMLString?

I don't think so. It is not valid XML.

Replace it to something else.

And replace it back when you write it out again.

But it is actually wrong to call it XML when it is not.

Arne

Ed

I don't think so. It is not valid XML.

Replace it to something else.

And replace it back when you write it out again.

But it is actually wrong to call it XML when it is not.

Arne

Arne, that's a good point!
Thanks!
Ed

Mike Schilling

Arne Vajhøj said:
I don't think so. It is not valid XML.

Nitpick: it is not "well-formed" XML. "Valid" has a specific meaning when
applied to XML documents (that they conform to a DTD or schema), and that's
not what you mean here.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Arne_Vajh=F8j?=

Mike said:
Nitpick: it is not "well-formed" XML. "Valid" has a specific meaning when
applied to XML documents (that they conform to a DTD or schema), and that's
not what you mean here.

True.

Arne