does anyone have an cool code for html?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, wd quothed:
I don't find Rush Limbaugh entertaining at all. He is a hypocrite, drug
addict, and when confronted with facts that proved a lot of his BS as
lies, he said something like, "my show is entertainment, it doesn't have
to be factual". The thing is, it is not just entertainment. It is
politics.

Yes. I suppose what disappoints (-and surprises) me most is that people
buy the lines of crap they hear from sources such as those we've been
discussing. Political discussions are futile, though, because nobody
changes their minds and I certainly don't have enough hard facts-and-
figures at my fingertips to logically "prove" specific assertions.
Nevertheless, in spite of both their flaws, I know who the Republicans
are good for and who the Democrats are good for, and since I'm not rich,
I'm a Democrat. If I were rich, I'd be a Republican.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:
You know what I want? I want the truth. There is no way that both a
liberal and a conservative can take the same exact item and spin it
so it means what ever they want it to. The truth lie's somewhere in
the middle.

It's a complex system. Never side is going to give you the whole truth;
you have to figure that out for yourself. In order to do that, you have
to be both astute and cynical (-but not too cynical). As an example,
let me ask: Was declaring war on Iraq justified? I don't want an
answer; the point is that if you can answer that question truthfully to
yourself, you can answer your more general question as well.

Leonard Blaisdell

tm said:
"And, say, while i'm at it, wouldn't mind killin' me some injuns and
owning a couple dozen negroes. Now, were did I put my wig powder...."

Yawn. Do you feel the need to take on the times, culture and prejudice
of our fathers? Good luck with all that. But grasp what the age was
honestly and deeply. You weren't there.
Modern historians can warp as well as illuminate past times.
No other citizens of conquering states need apply to this without truly
understanding your forbearers. If it wasn't for their foul deeds, you
might well not exist.

leo

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:
"Air America" went over bigtime.

I listen to "Don and Mike", although I don't agree with their politics
;-)

Not familiar with Don and Mike, but I assume they are Dems. Just
remember that being Democrat doesn't automatically mean being right and
being Republican doesn't automatically imply being sentient.
I don't understand why the Republicans have taken over the radio while
the Democrats are in control of the boob-tube, the movies and the 'New
York Times'."Everything we feel fit to print". Spare me a FOX rant.

Well, I take your word since I don't watch TV, don't go to the movies,
and don't read the New York Times. Maybe that's why the Republicans are
over-represented on the radio: it's the only media group desperate
enough to have them.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Leonard Blaisdell quothed:
Yawn. Do you feel the need to take on the times, culture and prejudice
of our fathers? Good luck with all that. But grasp what the age was
honestly and deeply. You weren't there.
Modern historians can warp as well as illuminate past times.
No other citizens of conquering states need apply to this without truly
understanding your forbearers. If it wasn't for their foul deeds, you
might well not exist.

If I exist *because* of their foul deeds, I would rather not be.

Travis Newbury

tm said:
"And, say, while i'm at it, wouldn't mind killin' me some injuns
and owning a couple dozen negroes. Now, were did I put my wig
powder...."

Yea, it sucks that we did that. It sucks to have skeletons in the
closet like that. But it's in everyone's closet not just America.

So what would you say we all do to make up for the atrosities that we
all did hundereds of years ago? I know I am hoping for some
reparations because England owes me big for repressing my ansestors
religious freedom and driving us out of England to this bloody
america. Not to mention they, the French, and the Spanish started
all this killing of the injuns thing... And I may still get a few
bucks from Itally for that killing the christians thing. And the
Germans, well ****, they just kinda owe everyone some money...

Yea, that was in jest, but really what could America do
(realistically) to make you say, Damn, they owned up to it and made
it all better now.

Travis Newbury

Neredbojias said:
If I exist *because* of their foul deeds, I would rather not be.

Really? Because you do exist because of what happened in the past.
And that past includes those deeds.

I would hope we learn from those foul deeds. But we probably won't.

Travis Newbury

Tony Cooper said:
The last line of the above paragraph could have been written
during the administration of the first Republican president:
Abraham Lincoln. It was as valid then as it is now.
The Democrats starting going off-track from the aims of the
founding fathers in the presidency of Andrew Jackson.

Both parties have lost touch with reality. Most governments have for
that matter.

wd

Do you agree with everythng on that site? And do you think the
articles represent truth?

Like I said, not everything in there is good, but you will find a lot of
stories in there from mainstream sources offering a viewpoint that the
traditional news is often afraid to give. I don't agree with everything
on that site (or any site). I'm not a "Democrat" either and never have
been.

I would say that the news in general tends towards either
ultra-conservative with an obvious political agenda (e.g., Fox News) or
just really dumbed down. American news (TV) is really inane compared to
many other countries and that is why Americans are so uneducated about
politics, geography, and the state of the world. (That is more in response
to the person who was saying the TV news is liberal.)

wd

Yea, it sucks that we did that. It sucks to have skeletons in the
closet like that. But it's in everyone's closet not just America.

So what would you say we all do to make up for the atrosities that we
all did hundereds of years ago? I know I am hoping for some
reparations because England owes me big for repressing my ansestors
religious freedom and driving us out of England to this bloody
america. Not to mention they, the French, and the Spanish started
all this killing of the injuns thing... And I may still get a few

The Spanish were not as brutal as the British and Americans in that
regard. Look at Latin America. It is still very Indian.

kchayka

wd said:
commondreams.org. Subscribe to their newsletter and you can get headlines
from many different news sources in your inbox. Not everything there is good, but
you can see some alternative viewpoints by reading it.

Hmmm... from the headlines I saw today, nearly all those "alternative"
viewpoints seem to be leaning, to various degrees, decidedly left.
What's so alternative about that?

Tony Cooper

Technically, Jefferson was the first Republican Party president.
Lincoln was the first president of the modern-day Republican Party.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Democratic-Republican_Party
http://www.whitehouse.gov/history/presidents/tj3.html

I understand that, but even political historians have trouble deciding
who was the "first" Republican or the "first" Democrat. It depends
entirely on accepting the party the person belonged to as being the
same party that is now described by that name. It isn't just the
label of the party that is considered.

Stating that the aims of the current party - whichever one - are not
consistent with the aims of original party members, or the aims of the
so-called "founding fathers", is irrelevant. We really wouldn't want
a political party to keep the same aims for over 200 years. The
conditions have changed, so the aims should change.

kchayka

Neredbojias said:
since I'm not rich,
I'm a Democrat. If I were rich, I'd be a Republican.

My sister has a political button that says:

Vote Democrat - it's easier than working

:p

Travis Newbury

wd said:
The Spanish were not as brutal as the British and Americans in
that regard. Look at Latin America. It is still very Indian.

So more acceptable if you are just a little bit brutal. How many
villiges do you think it takes to move from not brutal to brutal?

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, Travis Newbury quothed:
Really? Because you do exist because of what happened in the past.
And that past includes those deeds.

Really. I'm no saint, but (-or perhaps I should say "so") I don't need
or want that extra baggage.
I would hope we learn from those foul deeds. But we probably won't.

We might. I dunno about Duende.

wd

So more acceptable if you are just a little bit brutal. How many
villiges do you think it takes to move from not brutal to brutal?

"Conquest" vs. "ethnic cleansing". Both are terrible, but what the
Spanish were doing was different.

Neredbojias

With neither quill nor qualm, kchayka quothed:
My sister has a political button that says:

Vote Democrat - it's easier than working

:p

Yes, Dem politicians could be responsible for some welfare excesses,
indeed. But one-for-one, I'd rather see an indigent get too much than a
needy person not get enough. (-And as a working stiff, I bitched along
with all the rest.) If you subscribe to the theory that the Democrats
give too much, I must retort that the Republicans give too little.

Travis Newbury

wd said:
"Conquest" vs. "ethnic cleansing". Both are terrible, but what the
Spanish were doing was different.

But the Spanish are just as guilty, as is everyone else. Nobody has
a monopoly on doing bad things.

So condem the ACTION globaly rather than (selectively) pointing
fingers.

We ALL have some mighty big damn sticks in our eyes.