does (jmf 2.1.1e) still support midi playback?

SlowLearner

I've been banging my head all day trying to get jmf mediaplayer to play
a midi file. Even sun's own examples didn't work so tonight I remember
the jmstudio that comes with jmf. So I tried playing several midi files
and jmstudio comes up with the same error message as my own code at
runtime.
Unable to prefetch. I've installed jmf on all 3 of my machines and
sun's own program isn't able to play any of what must be over 30 midi
files I've tried. Many of which are in midi 1.0 standard.

If somebody could run the latest version of JmStudio and try a playing
a midi file for me I'd be grateful to know if it played or not. The
exception JmStudio reports is "Unable to prefetch" this is almost
certainly the same exception my own code hits which is
Error: Unable to prefetch
com.sun.media.content.audio.midi.Handler$MidiController@1a7bf11

If JmStudio is able to play midi files still, could anyone suggest how
to fix my install. I've already tried a total re-install of everything
on one machine and it made no difference

Thanks in advance
M . Cranna

SlowLearner

Andrew said:
JMF still does 'everything' it always did. OTOH..
<http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.3/docs/api/javax/sound/midi/package-summary.html>
..the Java classes for MIDI support were incorporated
into the J2SE as of version 1.3.

Andrew T.

Yes but have you actually tried running the pre-compiled JmStudio
application that comes with jmf2. On all 3 of my PCs it wont play a
midi file. I'm trying to find out why. I can think of 3 possible
reasons:

1. Midi playback has been abandoned in the latest version of jmf
2. There's a bug in the lastest version of jmf
3. jmf has installed incorrectly on all 3 of my pc's

It would be useful to know which it is! So if anyone else is curious
please try and play a midi file with JmStudio and let me know if it
played. I know there were some timing issues with jmf playback of midi
causing it to sound a bit dodgy on some systems, so maybe they've taken
it out of the jmf for this reason?

Thanks for taking the time to reply
M. Cranna

SlowLearner

Andrew said:
Are you also 'known' as 'M P' in email?

Andrew T.

No,

whose M P?

By the way no one has replied with a confirmation that thier copy of
JmStudio can still play midi files I'm assuming it cannot. So I'll
switch to c++ which can

thanks for you help

m. cranna

SlowLearner

SlowLearner said:
No,

whose M P?

By the way no one has replied with a confirmation that thier copy of
JmStudio can still play midi files I'm assuming it cannot. So I'll
switch to c++ which can

thanks for you help

m. cranna

I'd just like to reprhase that last post, as when I read it back it
sounded a bit critical of Java and that definitely wasn't what I meant.
I'm loving learning java. I just need to be able to play midi files
back under program control, which apperently Java cannot do anymore,
whereas C++ still can do.

Sorry if I caused any offense!

Andrew Thompson

M P is a person who sent me an email 'admonishing'
me for the fact I did not simply answer the question.
I cannot immediately connect it to any singular person,
but it might well have been from another person
experiencing the same problems you are seeing.
(This is not the only report around the groups
about problems with MIDI's in Java 6).

Mine fails with the same messages you were reporting.

You gotta' do, what you gotta' do*..
I'd just like to reprhase that last post, as when I read it back it
sounded a bit critical of Java and that definitely wasn't what I meant.
I'm loving learning java. I just need to be able to play midi files
back under program control, which apperently Java cannot do anymore,
whereas C++ still can do.

* I did a quick search of the Bug DB the other evening,
and (briefly) saw a bug report that might relate, but
I did not read it in detail (and I have lost the URL now,
and it can take up to an hour to get results pages
back from Sun - so I am not keen to go searching
again.)

For immediate support of MIDI, you might try specifiying
an *earlier* Java, but I recommend end users *never*
install older Java versions, so failing waiting on a bug fix
(and I saw no immediate indication the bug report I
saw was scheduled for a quick fix), another language
might be your best bet.

Andrew T.

dadatis

Hi,

As of now, JMStudio still fails to play MIDI files.
My configuration:
Windows XP Home
Java 1.6.0-b105
JMF 2.1.1e

I made a clean install of JDK and the JMF.
I'm looking for some solution, but right now it seems that MP3 is
working and perhaps I can get away with that,
d.

(e-mail address removed) wrote:
As of now, JMStudio still fails to play MIDI files.
And it will continue to do so, as long as there is a bug
in the underlying VM.
I'm looking for some solution, but right now it seems that MP3 is
working and perhaps I can get away with that,

...you do realise that a 2 minute MP3 will be a *much*
larger file than a 2 minute MIDI, right?

Andrew T.