does (jmf 2.1.1e) still support midi playback?

Discussion in 'Java' started by SlowLearner, Jan 8, 2007.

  1. SlowLearner

    SlowLearner Guest

    I've been banging my head all day trying to get jmf mediaplayer to play
    a midi file. Even sun's own examples didn't work so tonight I remember
    the jmstudio that comes with jmf. So I tried playing several midi files
    and jmstudio comes up with the same error message as my own code at
    runtime.
    Unable to prefetch. I've installed jmf on all 3 of my machines and
    sun's own program isn't able to play any of what must be over 30 midi
    files I've tried. Many of which are in midi 1.0 standard.

    If somebody could run the latest version of JmStudio and try a playing
    a midi file for me I'd be grateful to know if it played or not. The
    exception JmStudio reports is "Unable to prefetch" this is almost
    certainly the same exception my own code hits which is
    Error: Unable to prefetch
    com.sun.media.content.audio.midi.Handler$MidiController@1a7bf11

    If JmStudio is able to play midi files still, could anyone suggest how
    to fix my install. I've already tried a total re-install of everything
    on one machine and it made no difference

    Thanks in advance
    M . Cranna

    SlowLearner, Jan 8, 2007

  2. Andrew Thompson, Jan 8, 2007

  3. SlowLearner

    SlowLearner Guest

    Yes but have you actually tried running the pre-compiled JmStudio
    application that comes with jmf2. On all 3 of my PCs it wont play a
    midi file. I'm trying to find out why. I can think of 3 possible
    reasons:

    1. Midi playback has been abandoned in the latest version of jmf
    2. There's a bug in the lastest version of jmf
    3. jmf has installed incorrectly on all 3 of my pc's

    It would be useful to know which it is! So if anyone else is curious
    please try and play a midi file with JmStudio and let me know if it
    played. I know there were some timing issues with jmf playback of midi
    causing it to sound a bit dodgy on some systems, so maybe they've taken
    it out of the jmf for this reason?

    Thanks for taking the time to reply
    M. Cranna

    SlowLearner, Jan 8, 2007
  4. Are you also 'known' as 'M P' in email?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 8, 2007
  5. SlowLearner

    SlowLearner Guest

    No,

    whose M P?

    By the way no one has replied with a confirmation that thier copy of
    JmStudio can still play midi files I'm assuming it cannot. So I'll
    switch to c++ which can

    thanks for you help

    m. cranna

    SlowLearner, Jan 9, 2007
  6. SlowLearner

    SlowLearner Guest

    I'd just like to reprhase that last post, as when I read it back it
    sounded a bit critical of Java and that definitely wasn't what I meant.
    I'm loving learning java. I just need to be able to play midi files
    back under program control, which apperently Java cannot do anymore,
    whereas C++ still can do.

    Sorry if I caused any offense!

    SlowLearner, Jan 10, 2007
  7. M P is a person who sent me an email 'admonishing'
    me for the fact I did not simply answer the question.
    I cannot immediately connect it to any singular person,
    but it might well have been from another person
    experiencing the same problems you are seeing.
    (This is not the only report around the groups
    about problems with MIDI's in Java 6).

    Mine fails with the same messages you were reporting.

    You gotta' do, what you gotta' do*..
    * I did a quick search of the Bug DB the other evening,
    and (briefly) saw a bug report that might relate, but
    I did not read it in detail (and I have lost the URL now,
    and it can take up to an hour to get results pages
    back from Sun - so I am not keen to go searching
    again.)

    For immediate support of MIDI, you might try specifiying
    an *earlier* Java, but I recommend end users *never*
    install older Java versions, so failing waiting on a bug fix
    (and I saw no immediate indication the bug report I
    saw was scheduled for a quick fix), another language
    might be your best bet.

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 10, 2007
  8. SlowLearner

    Guest

    Hi,

    As of now, JMStudio still fails to play MIDI files.
    My configuration:
    Windows XP Home
    Java 1.6.0-b105
    JMF 2.1.1e

    I made a clean install of JDK and the JMF.
    I'm looking for some solution, but right now it seems that MP3 is
    working and perhaps I can get away with that,
    d.

    , Jan 11, 2007

  10. wrote:
    And it will continue to do so, as long as there is a bug
    in the underlying VM.
    ...you do realise that a 2 minute MP3 will be a *much*
    larger file than a 2 minute MIDI, right?

    Andrew T.

    Andrew Thompson, Jan 12, 2007