JMF: Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3

d4

Hi,
I installed JMF 2.1.1 for Linux, but I have trouble playing MP3 audio
with jmstudio. I also tried to install the MPEG-PlugIn from Sun for the
JMF. It was successfully registered, however I get the same error
message for my mpeg sound file. I would greatly appeciate suggestions
:)

The file was played by xmms without problems.

Thank you, Uli

Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Stereo,
LittleEndian, Signed, 24000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=32768 bits
Failed to realize: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@53fb57
Error: Unable to realize com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@53fb57
Failed to realize: input media not supported: mpeglayer3 audio

Frank Seidinger

Hi,
I installed JMF 2.1.1 for Linux, but I have trouble playing MP3 audio
with jmstudio. I also tried to install the MPEG-PlugIn from Sun for the
JMF. It was successfully registered, however I get the same error
message for my mpeg sound file. I would greatly appeciate suggestions
:)

With registered you mean, that you called

java com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder

like stated on the sun page?. This also didn't work for me. I had to
manually add the decoder via the jmfregistry. After starting jmfregistry
you will have to select the third tab named "plugins". The page presents
another five tabs. The second is labelled "Codec". Into the text field
enter the name of the decoder class:

com.sun.media.codec.audio.mp3.JavaDecoder

Now the decoder schould appear as the last entry. If you select it, the
right pane should now tell you, what input formats are supported.

Don't forget to save the entry by pushing the "Commit" button.

If your running JMF on Linux and have installed JMF to a common place for
every user, you also have to create file named ".jmfdir" in your home dir.
The file must contain a single line with the path to your JMF directory:

/usr/share/java/JMF/lib

for example.

Frank.

Andrew Thompson

On Wed, 05 Jan 2005 00:27:12 +0100, Frank Seidinger wrote:

(snip sage required to get JMF/MP3 under Linux)
Don't forget to save the entry by pushing the "Commit" button.

Heck, there I was considering launching into an MP3 player
project, and wonderring if JMF was mature and 'user friendly'
enough for the average user (Win/Linux in any case).

Thank you for confirming - 'No'.

Ulrich Scholz

Thank you Frank for your answer.

The registry worked for me and jmfregistry shows the correct values.
Especially, it shows

4. javax.media.format.AudioFormat mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, Signed

I also adjusted the .jmfdir (which pointed to a wrong directory) and
put mediaplayer.jar
and multiplayer.jar in the jre/lib directory of my j2sdk1.4.2_06

Unfortunately, I still get the message

[scholzuh@h409:bin] >jmstudio
Unable to handle format: mpeglayer3, 44100.0 Hz, 16-bit, Stereo,
LittleEndian, Signed, 16000.0 frame rate, FrameSize=32768 bits
Failed to realize: com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@76fba0
Error: Unable to realize com.sun.media.PlaybackEngine@76fba0
Failed to realize: input media not supported: mpeglayer3 audio

Does anyone have another suggestion? I would appreachiate it.
Thank you, Uli