Audio problem with JMF 2_1_1e Linux Performance pack

John

Hi,

Okay, here's the deal. I have JMF 2_1_1e installed on two boxes -
Windows performance pack on a Windows XP box, and Linux Performance
Pack on a linux redhat fedora core 1 box. I am using Java2 SDK 1.4.2
on both boxes. I have a Logitech QuickCam 3000 Pro (USB)which has a
builtin microphone. I plug the quickcam into the Windows box, fire up
jmstudio and viola, I get video and audio. Wonderful. I plug the
quickcam into the Linux box, fire up jmstudio and viola, I get video.
Under "File->Preferences-Capture Devices" I ask it to detect the
capture devices and it gives me "v4l:Logitech QuickCam Pro 3000:0" for
the video capture device and "JavaSound audio capture" for the audio
capture device. When I try to use tha audio capture device, jmstudio
gives me an error message, e.g.: "Unable to handle format: LINEAR,
22050.0 Hz, 16-bit, Stereo, LittleEndian, Signed". It will give me the
same "Unable to handle format: <fill in format here>" error regardless
of what format I choose. The microphone is detected by the O/S
properly (no errors) and all the proper modules load automatically,
but JMF just can't seem to find it.

Thoughts? suggestions?

John

Knute Johnson

John said:
[...]

John:

Are you using ALSA on your Linux box? Whether you are or not try
setting the audio format to 44100 stereo and see if that fixes it. Some
ALSA implementations won't do anything but 44100 stereo. Also try
switching to 1.5 on the Linux box. Prior versions have lots of problems.