Dynamic Webservice call

Jim

Hi all,

For my current project i want to call a webservice dynamically. How to go
about this? Maybe build a dynamic proxy?

cheers
Jim

Dan Rogers

Hi Jim,

When you say dynamic, what do you mean? Do you want to discover a web
service, find it's WSDL, build a proxy and make a call against an unknown
method (also dynamically discovered) after your code is compiled? I always
find this scenario interesting - it seems useful for building testing tools
that have no compile phase, but it doesn't seem very useful for many web
service application scenarios. The reason is that it's hard to imagine
discovering a useful web service that does something you needed inside of
your application without there being some well known aspects of the
discovered service. The things that can differ are URL (endpoint
location), inputs/outputs, method names, and method behaviors, by version
of the request.

For non-trivial cases, (e.g. pass in some strings and get back some
strings) creating the test data to be used to call a service that you have
only now just discovered can be daunting.

That all said, you may want to get the indigo PDC bits. These let you
discover a web service by knowing the URL of it's descriptive metadata
(e.g. WSDL), and then create a dynamic proxy (all without you invoking the
compiler) that has a full fidelity signature that matches the methods on
the remote service.

Regards

Dan Rogers
Microsoft Corporation