Easy CGI Languages.

Andy Dingley

God forbid someone suggests ASP.

ASP is great, _if_ you're already consigned to that circle of hell
where IIS lives. On the whole, having Windows as the underlying OS
is less of a problem than having IIS as the web server.

Mitja

Andy said:
ASP is great, _if_ you're already consigned to that
circle of hell where IIS lives.
No no NO! ASP is like pouring extra oil in the frying pan of Hell. I've tried Perl, seen some PHP, was forced to write a couple of
simple tiny scripts in ASP and, somewhere in between whose languages, discovered Python and clung to it. AFAIC ASP is by far the
least elegant of those languages. I don't know enough to judge and compare their powerfulness, but from what I've seen I'd place ASP
last on that list too.
On the whole, having
Windows as the underlying OS is less of a problem than
having IIS as the web server.
Agreed.

Andy Dingley

AFAIC ASP is by far the least elegant of those languages.

ASP is a container, not a language. If you use JavaScript rather than
VBScript, it's quite reasonable.

If you want, you could even go for PerlScript, PythonScript or
RexxScript. I once even did some COBOLScript ! - this was great,
integrated a nasty old legacy clunker for web reporting with almost no
effort. A project scheduled for months got done in a week.

Andy Dingley

Regex are scary because they are so condensed.

Yes, regexes are terrifying. Although writing your own from scratch
is much easier than trying to understand someone else's existing ones.

However regexes aren't part of Perl alone. All sensible languages use
them for string manipulation (if it doesn't do regexes, it's not a
sensible language). Since they became more widespread, I've found
less and less reason to write in Perl.

WebcastMaker

ASP is great, _if_ you're already consigned to that circle of hell
where IIS lives. On the whole, having Windows as the underlying OS
is less of a problem than having IIS as the web server.

What a loser

WebcastMaker

No no NO! ASP is like pouring extra oil in the frying pan of Hell. I've tried Perl, seen some PHP, was forced to write a couple of
simple tiny scripts in ASP and, somewhere in between whose languages, discovered Python and clung to it. AFAIC ASP is by far the
least elegant of those languages. I don't know enough to judge and compare their powerfulness, but from what I've seen I'd place ASP
last on that list too.

No no NO! Python is like pouring extra oil in the frying pan of Hell.
I've tried Perl, seen some PHP, was forced to write a couple of
simple tiny scripts in Python and, somewhere in between whose languages,
discovered ASP and clung to it. AFAIC Python is by far the
least elegant of those languages. I don't know enough to judge and
compare their powerfulness, but from what I've seen I'd place Python
last on that list too.

Hmmm... which is right... Kind of personal opinion eh?

Sam Hughes

No no NO! ASP is like pouring extra oil in the frying pan of Hell.
[...]
No no NO! Python is like pouring extra oil in the frying pan of Hell.
[...]

Hmmm... which is right... Kind of personal opinion eh?

All your opinions do not matter. Listen to me for your wisdom, because my
personal opinion trumps all, and use Reverse Polish LISP for your server-
side scripting!

(Well, I'm kidding, but actually it would be interesting if a variant of
RPL _was_ developed for server side scripting.)

mbstevens

Sam said:
...use Reverse Polish LISP for your server-
side scripting!

(Well, I'm kidding, ...

RPN; hmmm, time for a return to Forth or another
threaded interpreter. ;) (Actually, I do miss them.)