eclipse: losing project external files?

bernd

Hi folks,

as a newbie to eclipse I am not 100% sure whether I am doing something
wrong or eclipse is buggy.

I am using a SUN Solaris 10 box for SW development with eclipse 3.3.0.
The problem is that I access the SUN server via Citrix. This
connection is terminated regularly over night (security reasons :-( ).
As long as I shutdown eclipse before that I encounter no problems, but
as soon as I forget that and eclipse is finished ungracefully when the
terminal server connection is disrupted I loose all files (and even
directories!) in the project's directories which were changed/created
during the session and have not been generated using eclipse (e.g. C-
executables used with JNI generated using an external editor; I called
this files "project external files" in the subject which should imply
that they were not generated using the IDE but nevertheless reside in
the project's directory or in one of it's subdirectories). In contrast
to this, all java source code files and the corresponding class files
are retained.

I am a little bit embarrassed because none of eclipse's config files
in the file system contains information about the files I loose. It
have the impression that eclipse keeps file system information in
memory. What I cannot explain is why these files are deleted when
eclipse is terminated.

Any idea or same experiences?

Cheers

Bernd

ttrifonov

Hi Bernd,

First, check if the files and folders are on file system. If they're
missing you cannot do anything. But if the files are on the file
system you can try to start the Eclipse with "-clean" option, refresh
the projects inside the Eclipse (invoke context menu for the project
and select Refresh, or just select the project and press "F5"), and
finally clean the projects (Project, Clean).

The Eclipse caches a lot of objects and uses the cached ones, so maybe
after the crash it uses the old cache.

Regards,
Tanyu