Eclipse plugin - property view

Ankit

Hi all,

I am developing an eclipse plugin that uses the standard Property view
available (IPageLayout.ID_PROP_SHEET). I have put in some 5-10 property
descriptors in this property sheet. Once the properties have been
displayed, the user may edit the values of these properties.

Whenever a user clicks any of the property boxes (or a property
descriptor), I want to display a help text associated with that
property in a help view that I have created. The problem starts here. I
don't know how should I find out what is the "id" of the object OR
which is the object whose cell editor is active. As a result, I don't
know which help text should I display since each field in the property
page has a different help text.

I am new to eclipse plugin development and would appreciate any kind of
help/thoughts/suggestions.

Thanks a ton in advance.
Ankit

Rhino

Ankit said:
[...]

I think it would be a lot better to ask questions about developing Eclipse
plugins on one of the many Eclipse newsgroups. There are many Eclipse users
on this newsgroup but not too many people developing Eclipse plugins. The
Eclipse forums, though, have many plugin developers.

Start here: http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/. You'll probably want to
subscribe to their news server (news.eclipse.org), determine which
newsgroups actually discuss the issues you raise, and search the archives of
these newsgroups to see if these questions have already been answered,
although not necessarily in the order I'm giving you.