Using Eclipse plugin - thoughts?

lionelv

As I understand it you can use Eclipse to create your projects as
plugins. The projects don't have to be plugins for eclipse but eclipse
will handle dependencies and allow for fast and simple deployment of
releases. You can also write it so that it depends on the eclipse UI
if you want to, and then you can draw on many of the features such as
file explorers etc.

It goes something like that.

An alternative is that you design as standard Java projects, possibly
without relying on an IDE, and use something like Java Webstart for
deployment, installation etc. which in my view isn't that difficult
anyway.

What are peoples thoughts on Eclipse plugins. I've looked at them to a
degree and think that the effort involved in learning the new
framework, forcing all developers you are working with to use the
Eclipse, and generally creating this dependency on Eclipse which
limits some automation is more trouble than it's worth.

Personally I dislike (to put it politley) Eclipse and prefer Netbeans.
Some people disagree with me and that is their choice. I would like,
as a developer, to have the choice of whatever IDE, or editor I use,
be it notepad, vim, kwrite etc. This way the compilation can be done
using ant and everything can be nicely automated and edited using
whatever the developer wants.

Does anyone see any real advantages to using Eclipse that would make
it worthwhile the effort of every developer having to learn a new IDE,
framework and be forced to use an IDE that they possibly do not like?

(I'm the one who is potentially being forced, and I hate it :)).

Thanks

Lionel.