eclipse tutorial needed for project that already exists

marlow.andrew

Hello,

I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
anyone suggest where I should start please?

-Andrew Marlow

Lew

Hello,

I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
anyone suggest where I should start please?

Menu: File / Import...

marlow.andrew

Menu: File / Import...

I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
that svn created.

marlow.andrew

I thought I had tried this before and hit problems. I am worried that
it will not do the right thing because the directory contains stuff
that svn created.

I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
way.

Wojtek

Hello,

I need to learn eclipse and I am struggling. In particular I need to
set up eclipse for a project that already exists. All tht tutorials I
have seen so far assume the project is empty, i.e does not exist. Can
anyone suggest where I should start please?

go to http://www.eclipse.org/newsgroups/ and sign up, then ask the
question in the Eclipse forums

Lew

I should think you would want that stuff.

Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?
I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
way.

Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
selection checkboxes?

If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
synched with the repository, won't you?

Tom Anderson

I started to try it and yes, sure enough, all the .svn directories
throughout the structure and marked for import. It is a pain to go
through and manually de-select them. Surely there must be a better
way.

One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
root directory):

find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf

If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

http://gnuwin32.sourceforge.net/packages.html

There may be a similar way to do this operation using windows's own
command-line tools, but i don't know those well enough to say.

You can use a similar command line to purge any other files you don't want
imported.

Another, and probably better, option would be to install Subclipse and
check the project out into Eclipse directly from the svn repository. If
you don't want to continue working with the repository, you can then
disconnect the project from it - something like Team > Disconnect, i
think.

tom

Lew

Tom said:
One option would be to make a copy of the project's tree, then
automatically delete all the SVN stuff - something like (from the project
root directory):

find -print0 . -type d -name .svn | xargs -0 rm -rf

If you're using windows rather than unix, you'll need to unstall the
coreutils and findutils packages from GnuWin32 first:

Or the Cygwin utilities, which give an entire bash (or other) shell
and related UNIX-like environment to Windows:

<http://cygwin.com/>

marlow.andrew

I should think you would want that stuff.

Doesn't Eclipse integrate with SVN?

Isn't deselecting them just a matter of unchecking some directory-
selection checkboxes?

If you don't import the SVN directories, you will have trouble staying
synched with the repository, won't you?

No, you won't. Eclipse knows about SVN and has a separate perspective
for that. From the java perspective you say 'team->update' to update
your workspace wrt to the SVN that has been specified in the SVN
perspective. This enables eclipse to have a java perspective in which
the directories that the source code control system uses internally do
not take part in the eclipse-java development. And quite right too,
IMHO.

-Andrew

John B. Matthews

I just tried Import > Other > Checkout Projects from SVN > Use existing
repository location. I aimed it at a NetBeans project in my subversion
repository. Eclipse offered me a choice to check it out directly or use
the New Project Wizard. I chose the latter, built and ran. Right-click-
project > Team > Show History looked right.

Is your project's repository not accessible?

marlow.andrew

I just tried Import > Other > Checkout Projects from SVN > Use existing
repository location. I aimed it at a NetBeans project in my subversion
repository. Eclipse offered me a choice to check it out directly or use
the New Project Wizard. I chose the latter, built and ran. Right-click-
project > Team > Show History looked right.

Is your project's repository not accessible?

I screwed up. I accidently told eclipse to use an SVN sandbox of mine
as the workspace directory. Doh!