ecommerce and ruby (tclink)

Ara.T.Howard

i have never developed any code that deals with ecommerce whatsoever. are
ruby developers out there using

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/tclink/

?? seems all i can find on the raa. is it crazy to do this yourself, or is
this type of site functionality better farmed out to an existing web service?
do any of the ruby web framworks deal with this issue directly?

any advice appreciated.

kind regards.

-a
| PHONE :: 303.497.6469
| When you do something, you should burn yourself completely, like a good
| bonfire, leaving no trace of yourself. --Shunryu Suzuki

Aredridel

i have never developed any code that deals with ecommerce whatsoever. are
ruby developers out there using

http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/tclink/

?? seems all i can find on the raa. is it crazy to do this yourself, or is
this type of site functionality better farmed out to an existing web service?
do any of the ruby web framworks deal with this issue directly?

I've not used it, though I'm writing my own packages for doing
financial stuff, including electronic commerce.

I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that there are many
and varied poorly documented standards, and none of the web services
use them.

I'm a happy authorize.net customer, and their post-based interface is
relatively simple, so one can home-brew something adequate rather
easily.

For other services, there's other web-services interfaces -- Paypal
has one, Authorize.net has another, and all the other processors make
their own too.

Then there's the old over-the-wire VITAL protocol, which I haven't
seen a non-commercial implementation of yet, ever, in any language.

I do plan to release my code eventually, when it stabilizes.

Ara.T.Howard

I've not used it, though I'm writing my own packages for doing
financial stuff, including electronic commerce.

I think a lot of the problem stems from the fact that there are many
and varied poorly documented standards, and none of the web services
use them.

I'm a happy authorize.net customer, and their post-based interface is
relatively simple, so one can home-brew something adequate rather
easily.

For other services, there's other web-services interfaces -- Paypal
has one, Authorize.net has another, and all the other processors make
their own too.

Then there's the old over-the-wire VITAL protocol, which I haven't
seen a non-commercial implementation of yet, ever, in any language.

I do plan to release my code eventually, when it stabilizes.

please keep me in the loop when you get there - the project i have in mind is
very, very simple but will require doing credit card transations from ruby.
it will probably be back-burnered for a few months but i will be evaluating
things until then.

kind regards.

-a