encapsulating unmanaged code with COM?

Ting Xing

Hello,

Is it good to encapsulate unmanaged code using COM ?

I developed a lot of classes in old VS6 IDE.
Now I start to use Visual studio 2008 to develop GUI applications
(form).
The unmanaged classes have to be used, but I dont want mix the old
code
into the new environment (vs2008), and especially, I want to keep the
old world
simple as its been - i.e., just continue to modify the old code in
Visual Studio 6.

Accordingly, the idea of using COM to encapsulate the old code - is it
flawed?
Are there formal/official alternatives?

Thanks in advance.

Ting