Encoding a multipart/form-data for posting via HTTP

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Dema, Mar 10, 2005.

  1. Dema

    Dema Guest

    After googling around (with no luck) for a while for a function that
    would encode a hash into a multipart/form-data to be sent to a HTTP
    server via POST, I decided to read the RFC and write my own. In fact,
    it's not that complicated and I would like to share it just in case
    someone else needs it:

    BOUNDARY = "AaB03x"
    def encode_multipartformdata(parameters = {})
    ret = String.new
    parameters.each do |key, value|
    unless value.empty?
    ret << "\r\n--" << BOUNDARY << "\r\n"
    ret << "Content-Disposition: form-data; name=\"#{key}\"\r\n\r\n"
    ret << value
    end
    end
    ret << "\r\n--" << BOUNDARY << "--\r\n"
    end

    I got stuck for a while on the boundary syntax and the \r\n stuff, but
    eventually it worked ok.

    I just needed it to send some data to a RDF database that offers a HTTP
    API channel. So, this only works for the simplest case. There are some
    more complex variations, like uploading one or more files, setting
    individual content types for each part, etc.

    rgds
    Dema

    Dema, Mar 10, 2005

  2. Dema

    Dave Burt Guest

    It sounds to me as if this should be in Net::HTTP::post.

    Dave Burt, Mar 10, 2005

  3. Dema

    Dema Guest

    I agree completely.

    Dema, Mar 10, 2005
  4. Dema

    pavankanth.m Guest

    Hi Dema -

    Can you post the snippet of code in which you have used the above encoding logic?

    I am writing a web application that needs to take a file upload from the user and upload it to a remote server. I can take input from user to server fine via file_field, but can't seem to work out the next step of uploading from server to remote

    I am able to use HTTP:GET and download files from remote server and write to local disk, but not able to accomplish the opposite (local disk to remote server)

    Thanks in advance.
    Pavan

    pavankanth.m, Aug 22, 2012