eric not working on ubuntu 9.04

bvidinli

any idea ?
here is output:

bvidinli@bvidinli-yenihdd:~$ eric
Warning: translation file 'qt_tr_TR'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Warning: translation file 'qscintilla_tr_TR'could not be loaded.
Using default.
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded while
calling a Python object' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored
Exception RuntimeError: 'maximum recursion depth exceeded in
__subclasscheck__' in <type 'exceptions.AttributeError'> ignored
An unhandled exception occurred. Please report the problem
using the error reporting dialog or via email to <[email protected]>.
A log has been written to "/home/bvidinli/.eric4/eric4_error.log".

Error information:
2009-05-02, 23:42:05
<type 'exceptions.ImportError'>:
cannot import name walk
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/eric4.py", line 250, in <module>
main()
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/eric4.py", line 229, in main
from UI.UserInterface import UserInterface
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/UI/UserInterface.py", line 66, in <module>
from EmailDialog import EmailDialog
File "/usr/share/eric/modules/UI/EmailDialog.py", line 28, in <module>
from email.MIMEBase import MIMEBase
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/email/__init__.py", line 79, in __getattr__
__import__(self.__name__)
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/email/mime/base.py", line 9, in <module>
from email import message
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/email/message.py", line 90, in <module>
class Message:
File "/usr/lib/python2.6/email/message.py", line 790, in Message
from email.Iterators import walk

Version Numbers:
Python 2.6.2
KDE 4.2.2
PyKDE 4.0.2
Qt 4.5.0
PyQt4 4.4.4
sip sip version not available
QScintilla 2.3.2
eric4 4.3.0 (r2852)

Platform: linux2
2.6.2 (release26-maint, Apr 19 2009, 01:56:41)
[GCC 4.3.3]
Distribution Info:
/etc/lsb-release
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=9.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=jaunty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 9.04"
bvidinli@bvidinli-yenihdd:~$

Stefan Behnel

bvidinli said:
An unhandled exception occurred. Please report the problem
using the error reporting dialog or via email to <[email protected]>.
A log has been written to "/home/bvidinli/.eric4/eric4_error.log".

Did you try that?

Stefan

CTO

  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/email/message.py", line 790, in Message
    from email.Iterators import walk

Well, the module is called email.iterators (rather than
email.Iterators),
for starters. It looks like __all__ exports both names (which seems a
little dodgy to me, but hey, y'all are the experts) but Ubuntu messes
with Python a lot before it makes it to a package. I don't have a
jaunty
box handy, but my guess is that some heinous confluence of
email.iterators.walk moving to Message.walk() in python 3, the module
email.Iterators not existing anymore, and Ubuntu messing with Python
has caused the whole house of cards to come crashing down. If I were
you, I'd probably do the following:

1) file a ubuntu bug report
2) see if you can fire up the interpreter and see if the following
works:

If not, try it with the 'i' lowercased. If that works, you've got your
culprit. Otherwise, let me know and I'll take a look at it when I get
back in front of my jaunty box.

Geremy Condra

Peter Otten

bvidinli said:
any idea ?

It works on my Kubuntu 9.04, but I can provoke a similar error with

$ export PYTHONPATH=`pwd`
$ touch email.py
$ eric

As a first step I recommend that you make sure that eric doesn't
accidentally import modules written by you.

Peter