Error: Request timed out.

Dorte

Hi,
My ASP.NET application calls a web service (in the same project) that
queries a SQL server by using a data adapter to fill a dataset. The
dataadapter may fill more than one dataset to build the resulting dataset.
This can take several minutes (I think up to approximately 10 minutes) before
a result set is ready. The result set is displayed in a datagrid. It works ok
in VS.NET but when the project is deployed, the time consuming queries
generate the following error "Request timed out"
I have set the httpRuntime executionTimeout="900" in the web.config but it
does not make any change.
Does anyone know how to solve this problem? Thanks in advance for any replies.

Dorte

CESAR DE LA TORRE [MVP]

If it is a HTTP Time-Out, using "<httpRuntime executionTimeout" should be
enough. So, make sure it is not a DataBase Time-Out.

BTW, if your ASP.NET Web-App is within the same Server where the WebService
is..., probably you should't use WebServices, just call a .DLL Class-Library
with Business and Data Access Components accesing the DataBase. You will
achive a much more better performance. In most scenarios It does not make
sense to use WebServices (HTTP) within the same Server, you get a lot of
latency because of HTTP... (take into account I do not know your scenario,
but I see that you need a better performance system).

Anyway, for that scenario (10 minutes loading an ASP.NET page), may be you
should think about having a async. environment, or a 'client-polling' system.
An ASP.NET loading for 10 minutes doesn't make sense to me...
--
CESAR DE LA TORRE
Software Architect

Renacimiento