[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis

Diez said:
I don't see the contradiction here. It beats a great deal of commercial
solutions in a lot of ways. But not on every single one of these. And the
_reason_ for beating commercial software in certain aspects is exactly that
somebody stood up and volunteered. Obviously you aren't interested in the
more labour-intensive parts of the os-development.

Sometimes the core-team must provide infrastructure for volunteers to
contribute (as in this MinGW case).

http://lazaridis.com/core/product/case.html
They might not care about _your_ perceived essential needs. But as lots of
people use python and python based solutions with great commercial success,
you might think of reviewing your needs more critical. After all, there is
no _perfect_ system for all needs.

MinGW compatibility is not my need.

It is an community need.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

Stephen said:
There you go. Failed the test. He is an AI. A human wouldn't make this
mistake.

Even an simple AI would detect:

there are other reasons behind the decision to not support the MinGW
open-source-complier directly out of the main source-code base.

..

Pat

Fredrik said:
from two posts at the top of this thread:

"Writing a setup.py and running
python setup.py build_ext --compiler=mingw32
works for me *without* any more work. Things can't get much
simpler."

and

"The mingw compiler *is* supported through distutils. distutils
can straightforwardly be configured to build extensions with
mingw."

In my defense, the threads I was referring to were prior to this thread
and did not include the two snippets that you've quoted. Besides,
there *was* additional work that needed to be done, specifically adding
the python23.dll or python24.dll to the \mingw\lib directory, as you
mentioned in one of your previous posts. Now, I'm not saying any of
this is rocket science, or isn't fairly easy to overcome. But it is a
definite stumbling block for someone like myself who is less fluent
with C that you are.
(now go read Ilias replies to those posts)

I'm not Ilias. He'll have to fend for himself. I just happen to have
a similar need to understand how to simplify the process of compiling
extensions for Python in light of the recent changes with Python 2.4.
was that code tested under gcc? code that compiles under visual C doesn't
necessarily compile silently under gcc, but fixing that is usually pretty trivial
(no worse than porting mostly portable code between platforms).

The code was not written by me. Specifically, we are making use of
PEAK and the "unofficial" GPL port of Qt for Windows (not the upcoming
GPL version from Trolltech). I just want it to work. ;-)
sure didn't sound that way when you entered this thread:

"So in an effort to make some headway, I'm going to try to summarize the
current state of affairs. The bottom line is that compiling C extension modules
on the Windows platform for Python 2.4 is, today, a royal pain in the ass.
Period. Here's why. /.../"

Okay, I suppose I could have done a better job phrasing that. I should
have said something like "in my personal opinion, finding definitive,
documented information on the proper way to compile C extensions for
Python in light of the recent changes to Python 2.4 is a royal pain in
the ass." To that I would now add "But Fredrik Lundh thinks things
can't get much simpler, and if you ask him nicely he'll show you the
error of your ways." ;-)
now go download MinGW and figure out what's wrong with your C code.

It isn't my C code. I'm only including it as a dependency in my
project and trying to make the use of it by my users "simpler than
could ever be conceived by someone who thinks things can't get much
simpler". ;-)
if you get stuck, post the error messages, and I'm sure some c.l.pythoneer
will help you sort it out.

Thanks. In all seriousness, you're posts have helped. When we ran
into snags we tried to compile cElementTree, got a bunch of errors,
figured out we hadn't copied python23.dll into /mingw/lib, and were
able to compile everything we needed. We still haven't tried that for
Python 2.4 yet, due to other constraints that we haven't worked out.
But I think we are getting closer and your help is greatly appreciated.
:)

bruno modulix

Ilias said:
there are other reasons behind the decision to not support the MinGW
open-source-complier directly out of the main source-code base.
Yes, of course. The reason is they are lying about their commitment to
open source. They are currently trying to port Python to .NET, and when
done they'll retire the current implementation and lock everyone to a
proprietary platform. I know it's hard to believe, but there are clues...

Ilias Lazaridis

bruno said:
Yes, of course. The reason is they are lying about their commitment to
open source. They are currently trying to port Python to .NET, and when
done they'll retire the current implementation and lock everyone to a
proprietary platform. I know it's hard to believe, but there are clues...

impressive.

but things are much simpler.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

Mike said:
Then why do you waste so much effort whining about it not being given
to you?

Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.

<mike

MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

..

Adam DePrince

Mike said:
Then why do you waste so much effort whining about it not being given
to you?

Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.

<mike

MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

And herein lies the beauty of the noble meritocratic free software
movement.

If the community needs it, a member of said community has both complete
unfettered freedom and a supportive environment to make it. Any amount
of success at such an endeavor, even a feeble failure of an attempt,
would bring kudos the hero who attempts such a feat and possibly
organize unfathomable resources in the attendance of such a lofty goal.

Make us proud Ilias. But whatever you do, don't beg.

Adam DePrince

Ilias Lazaridis

Adam said:
Mike said:
Ilias Lazaridis <[email protected]> writes:
[...]
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

And herein lies the beauty of the noble meritocratic free software
movement.

If the community needs it, a member of said community has both complete
unfettered freedom and a supportive environment to make it.

Which is this "supportive environment"?
Any amount
of success at such an endeavor, even a feeble failure of an attempt,
would bring kudos the hero who attempts such a feat and possibly
organize unfathomable resources in the attendance of such a lofty goal.

Make us proud Ilias. But whatever you do, don't beg.

I don't beg.

If you think this, than please reread the thread (or at least the
root-trunk)
Adam DePrince

..

Joe Francia

Ilias said:
Mike said:
Then why do you waste so much effort whining about it not being given
to you?

Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.

<mike

MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what you
think it means.

Tim Peters

[Tim Peters]
[Ilias Lazaridis]
I extract: "you are intrested, that the source-code-base compiles
directly with MinGW (and other compilers)".

Sure, I'm in favor of that. I'm also in favor of world peace, for
that matter said:
Thus you should be intrested, that existent patches are incorporated
into the source-code-base.

That one doesn't follow. It follows that I'd like to see existing
patches _reviewed_, but not necessarily that I'd be in favor of
incorporating them if I had time to review them myself.
The suggested process ist: use of #defines whenever possible, to avoid
influence on the existent behaviour of the code.

Patches are reviewed on technical merit, balancing the tradeoffs;
#defines are actually discouraged when it's possible to do a thing
without introducing platform-specific #ifdefs. A problem is that a
patch won't get reviewed unless a volunteer does a review, and we've
got an increasing backlog of unreviewed patches because of that. The
most effective way for a person P to get their patch reviewed now is
for P to volunteer to review 5 other patches first. There are a few
Python developers who have promised, in return, to review P's patch
then.
You have done already very much.

But should should take some time to evaluate community needs.

I don't know what that means, but plausible meanings sound futile. No
matter what I think "the community" needs, it's not going to happen
unless somebody else does the work: I can't tell anyone else what to
do. Heck, I don't even want to.

It sounds like you might want development driven by some kind of
marketing study. Nothing wrong with that, if so, but it's not how
open source works. An entity like the Python Business Forum would
presumably be more open to that tack (although I doubt the PBF would
have a natural interest in MinGW).

"Minority platforms" generally don't get far unless a truly dedicated
volunteer shows up. For example, Jason Tishler does an excellent job
on Python's Cygwin port, as does Andrew MacIntyre on OS/2 EMX, and
they've both done so for years. Nobody asked them to do this (AFAIK),
it's more that nobody could _stop_ them from doing it. They're
motivated by love of the platforms they take care of. In the absence
of anyone willing to pay someone else here, that's what's truly
needed.
This effort could be driven by the intrested community members (which
obviously exist).

Then maybe they need to be better organized, and/or more assertive in
pushing their interests. If someone is getting left behind here, they
should speak up on the python-dev list.

Now, can you please tell me the process I have to follow to suggest the
following (to the PSF or to the programmers or to the decision takers),
possibly to get at least a vote on it:

No such thing will happen -- forget that. For MinGW to be supported
forever, it's necessary and sufficient that a specific person
volunteer to support MinGW forever. If that person goes away, so does
the support they provided; it's the same story for Cygwin, and even
for Linux and native Windows. A difference is that Linux and native
Windows attract more than enough volunteers so that ongoing support
seems statistically certain. But, e.g., if Andrew MacIntyre went
away, I wouldn't bet on OS/2 EMX support continuing.
"Please ensure that the source-code-base compliles directly with MinGW.
The suggested process is to:

* provide the infrastructure
(e.g. mailinglist, issue- tracking-category,... )

* Notify the community about this subproject to channelise efforts

* include existing MinGW specific patches

* ensure future verificatioin of changes,
* optimal: due to an automated build-system
* or simpler: due to community-feedback
"

If a specific person or group wants to volunteer to do all that, year
after year, they can start doing it today. The PSF won't do any of it
(although the PSF will fund and arrange to run the Python website, and
one way or another supply a bug tracker, source-control system, and
other infrastructure for keeping the Python project as a whole
running).

Ilias Lazaridis

Joe said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote: [...]
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what you
think it means.

The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).

We could call i userbase, too, but one needs not to be a actual user to
be a community member.

what do you think about?

..

Adam DePrince

Adam said:
Mike Meyer wrote:
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

And herein lies the beauty of the noble meritocratic free software
movement.

If the community needs it, a member of said community has both complete
unfettered freedom and a supportive environment to make it.

Which is this "supportive environment"?

You're on it. You drive a car? You have to treat it right to get what
you want, right? Same here. Ask correctly, and you will get your
answers.
I don't beg.

Really, remember this:
" My questions: a) Why does the Python Foundation not provide
additionally a binary version, compiled with MinGW or another
open-source compiler?"

Many languages have the notion of the "rhetorical question." Also
known as the "loaded question." Your statement comes across partly as a
challenge, partly as a demand. In English, American English at least,
if you want to challenge somebody over a perceived failure ask them why
they didn't do it. English language culutres tend to be very
metrocratic. American history glorifies the self capable (and somewhat
violent) cowboy. Austrians have their love of "daisy cutting." I could
go on, but language carriers its own cultural barriers.

You didn't intent to, but you begging. Sure, you save some face by not
obviously groveling, but that only makes the slight worse. Now somebody
asked that you to read
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html. Read it in its
entirety, and come back later.

Now I have the *real* reason that they didn't do this. Nobody cares,
except for you. If you care enough, make the binary package yourself
and give it to the community. Take home the source, compile it, get it
working, and *you* can become the hero of the Python Foundation that
provides this service. Being that you have a need, if the binaries you
want don't just appear, it can either be assumed that you don't care
enough, or have the ability to do the work yourself.

Even if you fail miserably, come back, tell us what you tried, how you
failed, and the denizens of this site will happily (try to) guide you.

Good luck getting what you want by trolling.

Adam DePrince

Grant Edwards

You didn't intent to, but you begging. Sure, you save some face by not
obviously groveling, but that only makes the slight worse. Now somebody
asked that you to read
http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html. Read it in its
entirety, and come back later.

The wanker already stated that the "smart questions" essay
doesn't apply to him. I think he may be right: it only applies
to people who actually want questions answered and problems
solved. I don't think he wants to do/solve/answer anything. He
just wants to piss and moan about how nobody will jump when he
tells them to.

Ilias Lazaridis

Adam DePrince wrote:
[...]
You're on it. You drive a car? You have to treat it right to get what
you want, right? Same here. Ask correctly, and you will get your
answers.

Your interpretation/definition of "asking correctly" is irrelevant to me.

[...]
Really, remember this:

Many languages have the notion of the "rhetorical question." Also
[...] - (faulty interpretations, suggesting processing model)

no comments.

..

Mike Meyer

Ilias Lazaridis said:
Mike said:
Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.
It is an community need [at least partially]

Repeating a falsehood will not make it true.

Can you offer anything besides your own whining to back this claim up?

<mike

Mike Meyer

Ilias Lazaridis said:
Joe said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote: [...]
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]
You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what
you think it means.

The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).

Then clearly, MingW is *not* a community need. I'm around Python. That
makes me part of the community by your definition. I have no need for
MingW (in fact, it doesn't run on anything I do development
on). Ergo, MingW is not a community need.

<mike

Ilias Lazaridis

Mike said:
Ilias Lazaridis said:
Mike said:
It is an community need.

Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.

It is an community need [at least partially]

Repeating a falsehood will not make it true.

Can you offer anything besides your own whining to back this claim up?

please review my initial posting.

..