[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Ilias Lazaridis

Mike said:
Ilias Lazaridis said:
Joe said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[...]

MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what
you think it means.

The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).

Then clearly, MingW is *not* a community need. I'm around Python. That
makes me part of the community by your definition. I have no need for
MingW (in fact, it doesn't run on anything I do development
on). Ergo, MingW is not a community need.

I see.

Time to close this thread.

Nothing essential anymore.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

Tim Peters wrote:
[...] - (thorough comments)

Thank you very much for your thoroug comments.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

I'm 'closing' this thread now [means that I do possibly not respond
anymore to messages].

Thank you for your time and effort.

..

Joe Francia

Ilias said:
Joe said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
[...]
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

You keep using that word "community". I do not think it means what you
think it means.

The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).

We could call i userbase, too, but one needs not to be a actual user to
be a community member.

Well, I'm glad you cleared that up (even though you clearly missed the
"Princess Bride" reference). As a member *and* user in the Python
community, I hereby declare MinGW as unnecessary to the successful
continuation of Python. When I need to compile extensions on win32,
VS.NET works splendidly. (And gcc covers my FreeBSD & Linux extension
compiling needs - I have no unusual demands or expectations that the
Python "community" will support, say, the Intel C compiler on those
platforms).
> what do you think about?

Oh, different things at different times, but it's usually not about
MinGW support for Python.

Jeff Shannon

Ilias said:
Adam DePrince wrote:
[...]
You're on it. You drive a car? You have to treat it right to get what
you want, right? Same here. Ask correctly, and you will get your
answers.

Your interpretation/definition of "asking correctly" is irrelevant to me.

"Interpretation is irrelevant. Logic is irrelevant. You will be
assimilated."

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International

Stephen Kellett

Ilias Lazaridis said:
The community is everyone around python (including me at this moment).

Based on the communities response to you (and the similar response you
are getting in c.l.ruby) you are not a member of either community as you
continue to deliberately ignore the accepted norms of interaction with
the community. I'll list them here for you (again).

1) Do some research yourself (i.e try to answer your own questions)
2) When you have problems tell the group what you did, what the results
were and what the problem was.
3) If the community thinks you have done 1 and 2 you will most likely
get a helpful response. Some people will be generous and help you
anyway.
After a while people will realise you have no interest in doing any work
yourself and give you a hard time (the c.l.ruby group appear to have hit
this threshold today) until you mend your ways. Do 1 and 2 and you'll
get your questions answered much faster than your current approach.

The most amazing thing is the number of times you've been told this by
so many different people and so many different newsgroups and yet you
*still don't get it*.

Stephen

Stephen Kellett

Ilias Lazaridis said:
MinGW compatibility is not [only] my need.

It is an community need [at least partially]

Clearly not. If it was, using your logic, it would already exist.

Adam DePrince

Ilias said:
Adam DePrince wrote:
[...]
You're on it. You drive a car? You have to treat it right to get what
you want, right? Same here. Ask correctly, and you will get your
answers.
Your interpretation/definition of "asking correctly" is irrelevant to me.
"Interpretation is irrelevant. Logic is irrelevant. You will be
assimilated."

Oy! Logic is relevant ... let me explain.

Let this be a gentle reminder to all, the primary hazard of generosity
is that the recipient will lack a corresponding sense of appreciation.
I've heard others around here say that they will risk feeding a troll on
the off chance that they may actually enlighten someone.

Further investigation (http://lazaridis.com/core/project/email) suggests
that it is the Python community that is at fault. There is a scepter
haunting the python-list. Ilias, we misjudged you and mistook your
hyper efficiency and superior cognitive capacity for rudeness. As I
reflect upon this exchange I now see the inefficient absence of
terseness and lack of condescending ridicule. I call forth on all
Pythoners to adopt your style of thought, learn to spell Nietzsche, put
aside their personal consideration and accept their subservience to the
common good (as defined by Ilias) and the nubile newbie. Think of what
we could acheive. We could be just like gwbasic! As hip and modern as
the Kondrad Zuse's Z3. Pythoner's Unite!

Ilias, I ceed. You are a superman in the most misinterpreted sense of
the word. I invoke Gershwin's law and end this thread. May I bear
your children?

Adam DePrince

Mike Meyer

Ilias Lazaridis said:
Mike said:
Ilias Lazaridis said:
Mike Meyer wrote:

It is an community need.

Based on the evidence at hand, this is a false statement.

It is an community need [at least partially]
Repeating a falsehood will not make it true.
Can you offer anything besides your own whining to back this claim
up?

please review my initial posting.

Done. Now answer the question.

<mike

Peter Maas

Michael said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:
But don't act like the volunteers who develop Python owe you a version
of Python that runs out of the box on MinGW. They don't, anymore than you
owe *me* a version of Python that runs out of the box on MinGW.

Please, leave him alone. When he posted here first his tone made me
suspicious and I did some searching. Replies like yours are exactly
what he wants. He is here to fight and to waste your time. But if
you enjoy this ... go ahead ;) I don't so this will be my only post
in this thread.

Jeremy Bowers

Incorrect analysis. This thread proves that you have no concept of how
to interact with the community. If you had done what many people asked
you to do, which is do some work yourself, then ask questions about the
few answers you didn't discover yourself, you would have got lots of
helpful answers. You were told this many times by many people. Also on
the odd occasion someone did proffer some on-topic advice, sometimes in
long articles that must have taken some time to produce you'd dismiss
the article with "It is not on topic, I have not read it". How could you
know if it is not on topic if you don't read it? Apart from the gross
rudeness in such an attitude it demonstrates your arrogance, selfishness
and utter contempt for those replying to you.

This is why I bailed on him, especially after the troll warning which
is now fully justified in my mind. I'm 99% positive that I could ship him
source code that meets every single one of his demands, and he'd *still*
be bitching and posting, because he *would not realize it*, because of
course he'd still have to read docs and learn how to use it.

Moderately on topic (not Python, but programming at least): The other day
I was talking to someone and I commented on how odd it is to write a
library, and *still* have to learn how to use it correctly. As the
author, at least I can change it as I learn more, but even so, I have to
learn how to use it; even as the author I am not imbued magically with
expert status.

I actually think that 95% of what Ilias is claiming to be looking for is
there, packaged up and almost ready to go. But he will never realize that,
since we can't jump him to expert status in a four-line newsgroup post,
so, *shrug*, he loses I guess.