[EVALUATION] - E02 - Support for MinGW Open Source Compiler

Diez B. Roggisch

Unnecessary and deliberately provoking question - python is taken
seriously, e.g. by multi-billion dollar companies like google and zope.

Of course zope corporation is not amongst the multi-billion dollar companies
- by now. But who knows :)

Ilias Lazaridis

[...] - (ungentle babbling after disrupting coherence of writings)

"
Should a professional developer take python serious?

I mean, if the team does not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process?

[targets need not to be supported directly by the python team. They
could be added/managed/maintained by community members]
"

..

Diez B. Roggisch

Ilias said:
[...] - (ungentle babbling after disrupting coherence of writings)

And that from you.... *lol*
I mean, if the team does not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process?

Repeating nonsense doesn't increase it's validity. Python makes use of
autoconf/automake to support a wide range of platforms and compilers. As
you obviously haven't heard of these and refuse to google, I was so kind to
research the respective links to the tools:

http://www.gnu.org/software/autoconf/
http://www.gnu.org/software/automake/

http://www.amath.washington.edu/~lf/tutorials/autoconf/

Enjoy the read.
[targets need not to be supported directly by the python team. They
could be added/managed/maintained by community members]

You already found the mingw-patch for building python. It is
added/managed/maintained by community members.

Just out of curiousity: How many python extensions are you planning to
write? And how many lines of pure python code have you written in your
life?

Ilias Lazaridis

Diez said:
Ilias said:
Diez said:
Should a professional developer take python serious?
[...] - (ungentle babbling after disrupting coherence of writings)

And that from you.... *lol*

Of course.

I respect the "coherence of writings" of my conversation partners.

[If they are in-topic / in-context]
Repeating nonsense doesn't increase it's validity. Python makes use of
[...] - (babbling, gentle links)

Thank you for the links.

They are irrelevant for me.

But other readers for sure will enjoy.

-

The automated-build-process-system should allow community-members to add
their targets into an special "incubation section", which does not in
any way affect the "main section" (which contains the official
production targets).

If an "incubation section" target proves over time as stable and
supported, it is moved to the "official-auto-build".
[targets need not to be supported directly by the python team. They
could be added/managed/maintained by community members]

You already found the mingw-patch for building python. It is
added/managed/maintained by community members.

This is a one-man-show, which does not invite to open collaboration
(feedback is requested to closed email):

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/98fa42dabff68db2

python [foundation, crew, dictator, ...] should engourage open
collaboration, should engourage _collaboration_.
Just out of curiousity: How many python extensions are you planning to
write?

I estimate 10 to 100, depending on abstractional capabilities of the
extension system.
And how many lines of pure python code have you written in your life?

0 (zero).

..

Diez B. Roggisch

Thank you for the links.
They are irrelevant for me.

As usual.
I estimate 10 to 100, depending on abstractional capabilities of the
extension system.

0 (zero).

Awesome. Without any lines of code written, you have already identified the
areas where python lacks features that have to be overcome with C-written
extensions. As usual, I stand with my mouth agape over your near-psychic
abilities to analyze even the complexest matters without any actual
fiddling with the nitty gritty details.

The day where you team up with Uri Geller - who will make even the worst
code running by just putting a printout of it on top of an image of the
master himself - is to be feared by all of us humble developers who
actually _deal_ with problems.

Ilias Lazaridis

Diez said:
As usual.
sorry.

Awesome. Without any lines of code written, you have already identified the
areas where python lacks features that have to be overcome with C-written
extensions.

writing code is not the only way.
As usual, I stand with my mouth agape over your near-psychic
abilities to analyze even the complexest matters without any actual
fiddling with the nitty gritty details.

Nothing special.

Abstraction, Generalization, Inhibition.
The day where you team up with Uri Geller - who will make even the worst
code running by just putting a printout of it on top of an image of the
master himself - is to be feared by all of us humble developers who
actually _deal_ with problems.

Don't worry.

Mr. Geller will be shortly hired by Sun Microsystems.

..

A.B., Khalid

Ilias said:
You are mistaken. The first steps are the following:
[...] - (nonrelevant comments)
3) Realizing that there _is_ already a project called pyMinGW! That it
does not fit your requirements-- whatever these maybe-- is an
altogether different issue. The fact of the matter remains that a
project _does_ exist, one which people (including myself) do in fact
use; and because it does exist there is no reason to "make" it.
[...]

I've already understood your viewpoint.

You just say that you do. Your repeating the same arguments using the
same logic testifies that you don't.

My requirements about an open-source project (or sub-project) are very
simple:

Your "requirements" are just what they are, _your_ requirements. And
since they are so, maybe you'd like to address them yourself instead of
continuing to complain how "your requirements" (simple or otherwise)
are not being met and that hence the author of this project is this,
and/or the entire language is that. Enough said here.

You have the right to refuse this.

I (and any other reader) have the right to derive our conclusions about
you and the reasons that you refuse a _real_ collaborative work.

Of course I have the right to do what I like (and as regards pyMinGW
this was explained earlier in this thread); your mere pronunciation
that I have that right neither subtracts nor adds to it one iota. And
it seems to me that the community has indeed reached some conclusions
which any reasonable person with a fair grasp of English can quickly
identify from the nature of their responses to you, here and elsewhere.

You already found the mingw-patch for building python. It is
added/managed/maintained by community members.

This is a one-man-show, which does not invite to open collaboration
(feedback is requested to closed email):

http://groups-beta.google.com/group/comp.lang.python/msg/98fa42dabff68db2

python [foundation, crew, dictator, ...] should engourage open
collaboration, should engourage _collaboration_.

Oh well, I hope it would not come as a shock to you that pyMinGW does
allow collaboration. Here is a quote from the pyMinGW-24 changes
document:

---------------------
pyMinGW-24-0064: Dec 11th, 2004
---------------------
[1] Included \PC\pyconfig.h in the Python24.iss. Thanks to Matthias
Gondan for the report and the fix.
Quoted from http://jove.prohosting.com/iwave/ipython/pyMinGW-24.html

So you see, the collaborative effort is there. It is just not
responding to "your requirements" to your liking that is bothering you!
Now if you want to continue complaining about how "your requirements"
are not being met, by volunteers who make their work available for free
in their spare time, to your liking, go ahead. Knock yourself out.

Khalid

Pat

Diez said:
Awesome. Without any lines of code written, you have already identified the
areas where python lacks features that have to be overcome with C-written
extensions. As usual, I stand with my mouth agape over your near-psychic
abilities to analyze even the complexest matters without any actual
fiddling with the nitty gritty details.

If you put yourself into the shoes of someone who decides to use a
Python product that requires compiling, and that product contains C
extensions that also need compiling, you'll see that it doesn't matter
whether or not that individual has actually written a single line of
Python themselves. If the compiling process is not easy, then that
user will be forced to fiddle with nitty gritty details about which
they'd rather remain ignorant.

On Linux, I've installed and used/compiled products in a variety of
languages in which I've never written a single line of source code
myself. In most cases the process works fairly well. When it doesn't,
I'm forced to fiddle with nitty gritty details about which I'd rather
remain ignorant. The result is usually a good deal of frustration and
anger on my part.

On Windows, most users are used to installing precompiled binary
packages, rather than compiling from source. When you do have to
compile from source, it often requires you to fiddle with nitty gritty
details about which you'd rather remain ignorant. The less fiddling
required, the happier the user will be, and the easier it will be for
that product to get adopted on that platform. No psychic abilities are
required. No Python abilities are required, either, for that matter.
;-)

Ilias Lazaridis

A.B., Khalid wrote:
[...] - (comments)

I've just overflown your comments for a few seconds.

And I got my confirmations.

Thank you for your time.

..

Ilias Lazaridis

Fredrik said:

Should I take answers serious?

Answer from people which do not respect coherence of writings?

"

Martin said:

Should I take answers serious?

Answer from people which do not respect coherence of writings?

"
Should a professional developer take python serious?

I mean, if the team does not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process?

[targets need not to be supported directly by the python team. They
could be added/managed/maintained by community members]
"

..

Robert Kern

Fredrik said:
Ilias Lazaridis wrote:

coherence of writings?

Ironic, is it not?

I think he's referring to the fact that you snipped some of the email
you were replying to.

--
Robert Kern
(e-mail address removed)

-- Richard Harter

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?=22Martin_v=2E_L=F6wis=22?=

Ilias said:
Should I take answers serious?

If not, why are you asking questions in the first place?
Answer from people which do not respect coherence of writings?

Coherence of writings?
Should a professional developer take python serious?
Yes.

I mean, if the team does not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process?

If the team *would* not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process, a professional developer
*should* not take python serious.

However, since the team *does* manage at least the foundation of
a multi-target automated-build-process, a professional developer
*might* take python serious.

[a false premise can imply anything]

Regards,
Martin

Nick Coghlan

Pat said:
On Windows, most users are used to installing precompiled binary
packages, rather than compiling from source. When you do have to
compile from source, it often requires you to fiddle with nitty gritty
details about which you'd rather remain ignorant. The less fiddling
required, the happier the user will be, and the easier it will be for
that product to get adopted on that platform. No psychic abilities are
required. No Python abilities are required, either, for that matter.
;-)

And the fact that building *any* Windows native program without commercial
software is a PITA is the py-dev crew's fault, how?

The python.org releases provide pre-built binaries for Windows, support for
compiling Windows extensions with various compilers (including MinGW), and
autoconf/automake support for POSIX-ish platforms (including Cygwin).

For native Windows compilation of the interpreter, they support MSVC6 and MSVC7.1.

If you're a serious commercial Windows shop, you will have one of the Microsoft
compiler suites installed *somewhere*. At that point, building your own version
of Python is trivial.

Which leaves the hobbyists, and those companies which, for whatever reason,
choose not to use Visual Studio to build C/C++ code on Windows.

If it meets your needs, the easiest solution is to build a non-native version
using Cygwin (./configure, make, make altinstall). That's what I currently do,
as the easiest free way to hack Python on a Windows box.

Which means our target group is now only those who want to build a Windows
Python binary, and don't want to use Visual Studio, and don't want to use Cygwin
(hmm, the group under discussion must be getting rather small by now).

Anyway, to support this group, the real thing that is needed is a tool to
translate the MSVC7.1 solution files into GNU make files (so the MSYS make
utility can parse them and invoke MinGW or the free MS compiler appropriately)

For anyone who actually wants to make this work, this message summarises where I
got to before giving up and switching to a different platform for builds:
http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-dev/2004-August/047215.html

Things have moved on since then - the Python project files no longer reference
the unneeded ODBC libraries, but they do reference options the version of
vcproj2make in the python-dev archives doesn't understand.

Also, vcproj2make has a dependency on PyXML, which isn't necessarily obvious
from the error message you get when the sln parser fails to work.

It can be done, and it could be automated, but it doesn't take a Python core
hacker to do it - it takes someone who cares about it, and understands GNU make
and Python well enough to maintain vcproj2make.

To finish the job, someone would need to:
1. Commit to maintaining vcproj2make
2. Get Garth to put a real license on it
3. Finish it well enough that it works on the Python PCBuild directory
4. Provide instructions (and possibly a script) for building Python with
vcproj2make, MSYS and MinGW.
5. See about including those instructions in Python CVS

(MinGW is probably a better option than the free MS compiler, since the files
you need aren't scattered all over the MS website, embedded in over 300 MB worth
of downloads, and you aren't bound by the MS EULA. Don't go redistributing
msvcr71.dll though)

The trick is finding someone who cares enough, or someone who will pay someone
to care enough - I cared for a while, but not enough to finish it. For what I
want (hacking the interpreter core), Cygwin suffices, and it's a hell of a lot
easier.

The pyMinGW folks appear to care, but for reasons best known to them, have
chosen to track the PCBuild project files manually, rather than automating the
process. They've also chosen to maintain separate files on their own site,
rather than providing diff's and submitting appropriate patches to improve MinGW
support in the main Python CVS. *shrug* Their call.

Cheers,
Nick.

P.S. if Ilias volunteers, or offers to pay someone to do this, instead of just
complaining, will hell freeze over?)

Diez B. Roggisch

If you put yourself into the shoes of someone who decides to use a
Python product that requires compiling, and that product contains C
extensions that also need compiling, you'll see that it doesn't matter
whether or not that individual has actually written a single line of
Python themselves. If the compiling process is not easy, then that
user will be forced to fiddle with nitty gritty details about which
they'd rather remain ignorant.

If an extension for python is written in C, usually the extension will be
available in binary form. As the porting from unix to windows takes some
effort, an extension needs testing on windows anyway. So unless you develop
extensions yourself, you don't need a compiler at all.
[...]

We're not talking end users here. If you have a product developed, you can
ship that - including binary parts compiled for windows.

If I recall your earlier post correctly, you wanted to use qt-x11 under
windows. So you want to use a piece of software which explicitely is not
supposed to run under windows - as there is a commercial version available
for windows. While I can understand the desire to have GPL version of Qt
for windows (which will become reality with qt4), I can't avoid to think
that you chose a deliberately rough path to follow. So there you are. If
you want things easy, pay for a msvc compiler + qt windows version. Then
things will be pretty straightforward. As others (including me) have stated
before: windows is a commercial product. You have to pay to use it, and you
have to pay to develop for it. That's the way MS wants it. The alternatives
are there - but you can't have your cake and eat it.

Ilias Lazaridis

Martin said:
If not, why are you asking questions in the first place?

simply read the next question, which limits the scope of the first one.
Coherence of writings?

An example:

they above 2 questions are coherent, thus answering isolated [as you've
done] makes not much sense.

""

[answering here makes sense]
If the team *would* not manage at least the foundation of a
multi-target automated-build-process, a professional developer
*should* not take python serious.

Very nice.

At this point, we agree very much.
However, since the team *does* manage at least the foundation of
a multi-target automated-build-process, a professional developer
*might* take python serious.

here our disagreement:

=> {"managing the foundation of a multi-target automated-build-process"}

What are the requirements for fulfilling this?
[a false premise can imply anything]

again you ignore coherent writings.

-

You have omitted the following part of my writings:

"[targets need not to be supported directly by the python team. They
could be added/managed/maintained by community members]"

in which I essentially define a few requirements for "managing the
foundation of a multi-target automated-build-process".

-

The python team should provide the fundamental infrastructure for the
community, thus it can add/manage/maintain build targets.

Additionally:
* The python-team should detect any efforts made for different
build-targets
* The python-team should attract/engourage the authors to include
them in the main build-system [incubation section].

The python-community and the PSF supports the python-team to take the
above actions.
Regards,
Martin

..