Every webservice stops working on the site - IISReset ussualy helps

jezowicz

Hello,

We are experiencing very weird problems with webservices on our
websites. I have tried to find any similar problems on the Internet but
with no luck.
From time to time - ussualy after the .asmx file is edited and saved.
The webservice stops working. It does not give any error message, its
just responds with blank page when you go with the browser to the .asmx
page. I make sure that there are no caching issues and I can try to
edit the asmx file again - if I make a syntax error in the code then,
the ASP.NET error is correctly displayed in the browser. If I correct
the error - again - the blank page. I cannot invoke any methods on the
webservice, but interestingly I can display WSDL document using ?WSDL -
which is rebuild correctly on the fly, everytime I make change to the
asmx file.

The only way how can I make it work is to do IISRESET and ussualy that
helps.

We have couple of webservices in many websites that are running on
different servers, so I cannot think that it would be a IIS or specific
website problem

The only specific we have is - the most of the webservices we have are
designed without codebehind feature.

I am including a sample of webservice - .asmx file

<%@ WebService Language ="Vb" Class="MyWebservice" %>
Imports System.Web.services
Imports System.Xml

<WebService(Namespace:="http://mycompany.co.uk")> Public Class
MyWebservice : Inherits WebService

<WebMethod()> Public Function IsUser(ByVal username As String) As
Boolean
return true
End Function

End Class

But also I have a one webservice which is using a codebehind model but
is having blank-page problems as well.

I have tried to access the .asmx file in Internet Explorer and Firefox
as well - the same empty HTML content is displayed - (well, not exactly
empty, just html and body tag with no other text are rendered)

Maybe worth mentioning that I have these settings in web.config . That
allow me to use webservice through the browser.

<webServices>
<protocols>
<add name="HttpGet"/>
<add name="HttpPost"/>
</protocols>
</webServices>

I will be gratefull if anyone could have any suggestions what could be
the problem,

Thanks a lot,

Janusz