Expert advice needed (We were all new once)

hoggmeister

Hey Folks,

I'm new to C/C++ programming and have just started looking at some
books myself with a view to starting a course next year. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell a program to use a .lib
file in visualstudio.net. The example gives 2 files a exmple1.h file
and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to use them.

Many thanks,

CBFalconer

I'm new to C/C++ programming and have just started looking at some
books myself with a view to starting a course next year. I was
wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell a program to use a
.lib file in visualstudio.net. The example gives 2 files a
exmple1.h file and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to
use them.

This is not the place to ask system specific questions (which yours
is). My guess is you want a group with microsoft in its name.
Good luck, you'll need it.

You would have known this if you had read the group for a short
period before posting.

hoggmeister

sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
friendlier one.

Kenny McCormack

sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
friendlier one.

Welcome to the shark tank.

This is a fun group once you get used to it. You have to understand that
it has nothing to do with C, as practiced by ordinary humans. In fact, the
two primary attributes of the NG are:
1) Sadistic humor
2) Religion

Note that you, if you stick around, you will soon be asked for C&V (that's
"Chapter and Verse" to the unindoctrinated). What more of a relgious query
could there be?

Anyway, sit back - and enjoy!

Keith Thompson

sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
friendlier one.

Who said it was a big deal? CBFalconer was giving you the best help
he could, by offering advice on where you can go to get actual answers
to your questions. Most of us here don't know anything about
visualstudio.net, and if we did we'd discuss it elsewhere, since it
doesn't have much to do with the C language.

Some of us get a little sensitive sometimes about off-topic posts
because we get so many of them here. Don't take it personally.

If you want to participate in this newsgroup, there's a regularly
posted welcome message; you should be able to find it via Google.

We have our share of trolls. Ignore them.

One more thing:

Lawrence Kirby

Welcome to the shark tank.

This is a fun group once you get used to it. You have to understand that
it has nothing to do with C, as practiced by ordinary humans.

If that is true it is a really sad state of affairs. It is true that most
programs will use extendsions are some point or another. However an awful
lot of a program is (or could be) standard C, and standard C is the
framework upon which all of those extensions are based. So standard C is
useful to Unix programmers writing Unix code, Mac programmers writing Mac
code, Windows programmers doing whatever Windows programmers do.

comp.lang.c is where all the Unix, Mac, Windows etc. etc. C programmers
can discuss the significant language that is relevant to all of them.

SO, yes, comp.lang.c is about C as practiced by ordinary humans. You just
have to be able to distinguish the bits that you do that are based on the
standard portable language from the bits that aren't. That in itself is a
useful thing to be able to do.
In fact, the
two primary attributes of the NG are:
1) Sadistic humor
2) Religion

Most healthy newsgroup have a degree of that.
Note that you, if you stick around, you will soon be asked for C&V (that's
"Chapter and Verse" to the unindoctrinated). What more of a relgious query
could there be?

Typically that's when people present false statements about C as fact. It
isn't that common.

Lawrence

Mark McIntyre

sorry didn't know I was just looking for some help didn't realise my
question would have been such a big deal or I wouldn't have bothered.
I'm not going to go look for a group with microsoft in the name just a
friendlier one.

Hmm. CBF's answer was /very/ polite, considering you asked a question
which wasn't really C related, but to do with how to use MS Visual C.

If you can't cope with being politely redirected to the right place,
then you're going to have a rough time in usenet.

Anand Saha

wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell a program to use a .lib
file in visualstudio.net. The example gives 2 files a exmple1.h file
and an example1.lib file but I'm not sure how to use them.

Tools->Options->Projects->VC++ Directories->(Show directories for)

saha

Default User

Mark said:
Hmm. CBF's answer was very polite, considering you asked a question
which wasn't really C related, but to do with how to use MS Visual C.

If you can't cope with being politely redirected to the right place,
then you're going to have a rough time in usenet.

Yet another who will complain about being "flamed" on c.l.c. Many
people interpret anything other than complete coddling as flaming.

Brian