Extending Python by Adding Keywords & Data types

Maximus Decimus

HI all,

I am using python v2.5 and I am an amateur working on python. I am
extending python for my research work and would like some help and
guidance w.r.t this matter from you experienced python developers.

II want to add some more KEYWORDS and DATATYPES into the python script
apart from the existing ones.

It would be really great if anybody could guide me as which files and
modules I need to look to make these additions and enhancements to the
existing python version. Thanks a lot in advance and your help is
really appreciated.

Vishak

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

II want to add some more KEYWORDS and DATATYPES into the python script
apart from the existing ones.

New data types are easy: Just implement the classes.

Why do you need new keywords? Can't the problem at hand be expressed in
functions and classes/methods?

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Maximus Decimus

Since, I am an amateur in using python, could you please be more
specific. For new data types, you had asked to implement the classes.
I intend to use C for implementing these data types. So where do i
need to implement these classes ie under which file or module in the
python package.

Thanks in advance.

Ben Finney

Maximus Decimus said:
II want to add some more KEYWORDS

Adding keywords can only be done by changing the parser for the Python
compiler. You can download the source for your preferred
implementation of Python (e.g. CPython) and change it there.

But likely that's not the best approach. Can you tell us what problem
you are trying to solve, and why you think adding keywords to the
language is desirable?
and DATATYPES into the python script apart from the existing ones.

Adding datatypes is done by defining classes. Please work through the
tutorial (as a series of exercises to perform and understand) in order
to get a better grounding in these and other basic topics of Python.

<URL:http://docs.python.org/tut/>

Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Since, I am an amateur in using python, could you please be more
specific. For new data types, you had asked to implement the classes.
I intend to use C for implementing these data types. So where do i
need to implement these classes ie under which file or module in the
python package.

Like Ben Finney said, first do something about the amateur status and work
through the tutorial.

Everything in Python is an object. And classes are a way to define
templates for new objects. After you know classes better, ask yourself
how you would implement the already existing data types with classes
yourself and then you'll get an idea how to create new data types.

If you want to implement new types in C there's a tutorial in the docs
called “Extending and Embedding†and a reference of the Python/C API.

But maybe you should start with implementing them in Python and only
convert those parts to C code that are *really* to slow in the prototype.
Really means measure and don't guess.

A nice step between Python and C is Pyrex, a Python-like language with some
restrictions but also C data types. Pyrex is then translated to C and can
be compiled as Python extension module.

Ciao,
Marc 'BlackJack' Rintsch

Bjoern Schliessmann

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amateur>
| Most commonly an amateur is understood to be someone who does
| something without pay or formal training. Conversely, a
| professional is someone who has received training in a particular
| area and who also makes a living from it.

So, you're not being paid coding in Python, and/or have
no "official" training. Many readers of this list share this
situation, me too.
could you please be more specific.

I return the question. Your statements are most vague. Please give
an example of what you try to realise.
For new data types, you had asked to implement the classes. I
intend to use C for implementing these data types. So where do i
need to implement these classes ie under which file or module in
the python package.

Please do yourself a favor and read. Feel free to ask again for
specific problems.

http://docs.python.org/tut/node3.html
http://docs.python.org/tut/node11.html

Regards,

Björn

Paul McGuire

I am using python v2.5 and I am an amateur working on python. I am
extending python for my research work and would like some help and
guidance w.r.t this matter from you experienced python developers.

II want to add some more KEYWORDS and DATATYPES into the python script
apart from the existing ones.

Vishak -

Let me echo the sentiments of the other posters who replied to your
message. It is *very* unusual for a new Python user to begin their
Pythonic journey by modifying the Python interpreter to add new
keywords and datatypes. Python is designed to be a very flexible and
extensible language just as it is.

Since you are familiar with C, your question strikes those of us on
this group as one who would write "I'm just learning C and I would
like to modify the core library to add some new functions for my
research." And all the readers on comp.lang.c scratch their heads,
thinking "Huh? Why doesn't this guy just write the functions in his
own program, the way the language was designed for him to do in the
first place?"

Now maybe your research is in the field of language design, and has
something to do with the relative ease/difficulty of modifying
computer languages. Then it would make sense for you to dive right in
to learning how to modify Python's compiler.

But if your research was in just about any other field (from finite
elements analysis to genetic programming to genetics to simulations to
process control to whatever), DON'T start by modifying Python - start
by LEARNING Python.

When a new datatype is required in a Python program, then the
programmer writes a class to implement this datatype. The class
itself is written in Python, but it can be used just like any built-in
datatype. For instance, here is a new datatype I just thought up - a
Box that can hold up to 'n' objects.

class Box(object):
def __init__(self,n):
self.capacity = n
self.contents = []

def add(self,other):
if len(self.contents) < self.capacity:
self.contents.append( other )
else:
raise ValueError("can't add any more to this Box")

def __iadd__(self,other):
self.add(other)
return self

box = Box(3)

# add stuff to the box until it overflows
while(True):
box += object()

Voila! I created a new datatype, Box, and even added support for it
to understand how to use the '+=' operator so that adding objects to
the Box looks like an addition statement. All without modifying
Python itself. (Here's an exercise - extend this example so that the
Box has a limited capacity in the *weight* of the added objects, as
well as in the number of objects.)

This is the basic way that one extends Python with their own new
datatypes and methods. New keywords are a little rarer, but really,
start by just adding methods, like the add method above. Python users
around the world develop a wide range of applications and programs
using just these techniques, and never touch the Python compiler
itself.

And here is a case you'd like to avoid. Let's say you start by
learning how to modify Python because you need a general-purpose
container for things. You spend two weeks learning how to do this,
getting your code mostly debugged, and then you post to
comp.lang.python your proud achievement. Immediately the replies come
back, "Congratulations, newbie, you just reinvented the built-in list
type." Without LEARNING Python, you wont know what is already
provided in the language.

So, in general this is a helpful group, and it is possible that you DO
need to learn how to add datatypes and keywords to Python as your
first objective. We're not trying to pry, but give us a bit more
detail. Someone might even rough out for you what one of your new
datatypes might look like. So pray, tell us what sort of specialized
datatypes and keywords do you think you need to add, and we'll try to
point you in one or more directions.

-- Paul

Maximus Decimus

[...]

Firstly to Paul, I clearly got your reply and I am working hard to
know more about python by going through the tutorials. I did start
with the doc tutorial available along with the package. I have done
the basic learning of python which is way simple compared to the
stuffs you are talking about. I have just jumped into the extending
python part of the document. I think I need to master that portion.
Your code snippet was quite simple and it explained me very well than
the tutorial. HAts off to u!!

Bjorn, Marc, Ben, I also noted your comments and I am working on them.
I have gone through the Python Classes portion and I need to workout
quite a lot excercises to make myself familiar with Python. I am gonna
start doing that right away.

Coming to the complete explanation of what I am upto:

I am doing my research in Pervasive space environments filled with
sensors and actuators. I am just trying to modify an existing language
which suits that kind of environment. Pervasive space environment is
filled with sensors and actuators and everything depends on their
state and behavior ie on the sensor readings and actuator states. So
why not express a language variable in terms of sensors and actuators?
THis is my idea of working around and trying to introduce new data
types for these sensor and actuator variables which store sensor
readings and actuator states.

I think this explains a bit clearly on what I am looking
for..Suggestion and ideas are kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and for your time.

Paul McGuire

Your code snippet was quite simple and it explained me very well than
the tutorial. HAts off to u!!
Thanks!

I am doing my research in Pervasive space environments filled with
sensors and actuators. I am just trying to modify an existing language
which suits that kind of environment. Pervasive space environment is
filled with sensors and actuators and everything depends on their
state and behavior ie on the sensor readings and actuator states. So
why not express a language variable in terms of sensors and actuators?
THis is my idea of working around and trying to introduce new data
types for these sensor and actuator variables which store sensor
readings and actuator states.

I think this explains a bit clearly on what I am looking
for..Suggestion and ideas are kindly appreciated.

Thanks in advance and for your time.

You got me thinking about a little exercise I did a long time ago,
using overloaded operators to help model circuits of resistors in
series and parallel. Here is one way to model some physical objects
using notation that is particular to their own domain (and even
counter to the conventional uses of that notation, as noted in the
docstrings). See below:

class Resistor(object):
def __init__(self,r):
self.resistance = r

def __sub__(self,other):
"""R1-R2 looks like two resistors in series, nevermind
that we are using a subtraction operator to perform
what is essentially an addition operation. Think of
the horizontal line as a circuit connecting the two
resistors."""
return Resistor(self.resistance + other.resistance)

def __or__(self,other):
"R1 | R2 looks like two resistors in parallel, sort of"
return Resistor(float(self.resistance * other.resistance) /
float(self.resistance + other.resistance))

def colorCode(self):
"""insert nifty routine here to convert self.resistance to
sequence of color bands"""
pass

def __repr__(self):
return "Resistor(%s)" % self.resistance

r1 = Resistor(100)
r2 = Resistor(200)

print r1-r2 # resistors in series
print r1 | r2 # resistors in parallel
print r1 | r1 | r2 # three resistors in parallel, not so easy math
print (r1 - r1) | r2 # two resistors in series in parallel with
another
print r1 - (r1 | r1)

Prints:

Resistor(300)
Resistor(66.6666666667)
Resistor(40.0)
Resistor(100.0)
Resistor(150.0)

This is just using vanilla Python with some tricky operator
interpreting.

You can also do some syntax manipulation using the import hooks (first
shown to me by Wilson Fowlie). Here is an example of modeling an in-
memory state machine, with some customized syntax. (http://
www.geocities.com/ptmcg/python/stateMachine.html) This is more
involved, and requires a custom parser, but let's not get distracted
down that path...

Just some more alternatives to mucking about in the Python compiler.

-- Paul

Paul McGuire

def add(self,other):
if len(self.contents) < self.capacity:
self.contents.append( other )
else:
raise ValueError("can't add any more to this Box")

I guess that really should raise an OverflowError...

-- Paul