MySQL data types vs Django/Python data types

Discussion in 'Python' started by Gary Roach, Sep 1, 2013.

  1. Gary Roach

    Gary Roach Guest

    Hi all,

    System:
    Debian Wheezy Linux
    Python 2.7
    Django 1.5
    MySql 5.5

    I am new to Python and Django and am having trouble matching Python data
    types with those of MySQL. MySQL has about 7 basic data types including
    Blobs, Binaries, etc. It also has a rich selection of geometry types. In
    addition, types like INT have 7 or 8 different options like Primary Key,
    zero fill, auto inc, etc. I can't seem to find anything in python to
    match these. I am trying to build a model.py for an existing database
    that was created with MySQL Workbench.

    I do not wish to use anything other than MySQL because of the complexity
    of my storage needs (searchable text, PDF, Audio, Video and Photos). The
    text searches will often be word phrase searches through thousands of
    documents. I need the speed and the data type flexibility.

    How do I build or modify a model.py to do this. I really don't want to
    write a model.py manually. That would really be a major pain. Workbench
    to the database an import to Django and edit is my choice.
    Unfortunately, the model.py produced has lost most of the functionality
    of the original database and I can't seem to figure out how to fix it.

    Any help will be sincerely appreciated.

    Gary R.

    Gary Roach, Sep 1, 2013