Setting up for python django development with Debian Linux

Gary Roach

Hi all,

I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
and git development project and am really confused. All of the
documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
Debian Linux and its derivatives. Does pip install the same as apt-get;
I don't think so. If I use virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with the
normal debian (wheezy) installation. I also need git which just confuses
the situation even more. Must I give up the automatic updating system
that Debian provides when setting up the development environment? The
documentation centers on Windoz, Mac and generic Linux distributions and
ignores the automation of the Debian installation. All of the
documentation I have found concentrates on the installation of
individual packages or on the use of python-django and is very sketchy
on the overall virtualenv(wrapper), git, python-django file structure
and installation order.

Any help with straightening out my brain in this area will be sincerely
appreciated.

Gary R.

D.M. Procida

Gary Roach said:
I have been trying to set up a python, django, mysql, virtualenvwrapper
and git development project and am really confused. All of the
documentation seems to ignore the apt-get installation methods used by
Debian Linux and its derivatives.

I assume you've either worked this out or given up by now, but in any
case...
Does pip install the same as apt-get; I don't think so. If I use
virtualenvwrapper, how does this fit with the normal debian (wheezy)
installation.

Firstly, pip doesn't install in the same way apt-get does.

The general rule is: if it's a Python package (such as Django) use pip;
if it's not (such as MySQL) use apt-get.

Secondly, there is little if any need to install Python packages outside
a virtualenv. It's almost always more convenient to have them in a
virtualenv, rather than system-wide.
I also need git which just confuses
the situation even more. Must I give up the automatic updating system
that Debian provides when setting up the development environment?

I just use apt-get to install Git and update it every now and then.

Daniele