Extract images from PDF files

writeson

Hi all,

I've looked around with Google quite a bit, but haven't found anything
like what I'm looking for. Is there a Python library that will extract
images from PDF files? My ultimate goal is to pull the images out, use
the PIL library to reduce the size of the images and rebuild another
PDF file that's an essentially "thumbnail" version of the original PDF
file, smaller in size.

We've been using imagick to extract the images, but it's difficult to
script and slow to process the input PDF. Can someone suggest
something better?

Thanks in advance,
Doug

writeson

David,

Thanks for your reply, I'll take a look at pdftohtml and see if it
suits my needs.

Thanks!
Doug