FAQ Topic - How do I modify the current page in a browser?

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How do I modify the current page in a browser?

Using the DOM the non-standard but widely implemented innerHTML
extension, the following would be sufficient to modify the content
of any element that can have content:
` <div id="anID">Some Content</div> ` with script of
` document.getElementById("anID").innerHTML=
"Some <em>new</em> Content"; `
Where "anID" is the (unique on the HTML page) ID attribute value
of the element to modify.

The script below adds support for ` document.all ` capable browsers.
Support for NN4 is also possible, but certain issues mean that
it is not listed here. Using the example above, the call would
be written:
` DynWrite('anID',"Some <em>new</em> Content") `
With the below code also in the page:

DocDom = (document.getElementById?true:false);
DocAll = (document.all?true:false);
DocStr=''
if (DocAll) DocStr="return document.all[id]"
if (DocDom) DocStr="return document.getElementById(id)"
GetRef=new Function("id", DocStr)
if (DocStr=='') { DynWrite=new Function("return false") } else {
DynWrite=new Function("id", "S", "GetRef(id).innerHTML=S; return true")
}

An alternative DynWrite function:

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/alt_dynwrite.html

http://msdn.microsoft.com/workshop/author/dhtml/reference/properties/innerHTML.asp

http://www.mozilla.org/docs/dom/domref/dom_el_ref8.html#1018427

===
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.