FAQ Topic - What books are recommended for javascript? (2010-03-25)

Discussion in 'Javascript' started by FAQ server, Mar 25, 2010.

  1. FAQ server

    FAQ server Guest

    FAQ Topic - What books are recommended for javascript?

    Most javascript books have been found to contain so many technical
    errors that consensus recommendations have not emerged from the group.

    The following books have been considered to have value by some
    individuals on c.l.js. The reviews of these books are provided:

    *
    * _"JavaScript: The Definitive Guide,"_ 5th Edition, by David Flanagan

    * Published: 2006-08
    * Pages: 1018
    * http://jibbering.com/faq/Errata:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596101992/errata/

    * Discussed in:

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...98f77fd2a66/9252aa024e058dea#c5f145ae807c918e

    *
    _"JavaScript, The Good Parts,"_ 1st Edition, by Douglas Crockford

    * Published: 2008-05
    * Pages: 170
    * http://jibbering.com/faq/Errata:

    http://oreilly.com/catalog/9780596517748/errata/

    * Discussed in:

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/d084d2109f7b4ec7#

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...9ab113aa05c/3987eac87ad27966#3987eac87ad27966

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...7835ee728de/da5ccfc65e2df64a#da5ccfc65e2df64a

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_thread/thread/3a08fb741525ab6d/

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...e6e63494ee2/acb733a1c35f6ce5#ee9e4ee29e658d5d

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...506ee48b400/e65e00f5cad07676#e65e00f5cad07676

    *

    http://groups.google.com/group/comp...1b22b219433/4f69a95607d0b3ae#4f69a95607d0b3ae

    The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
    http://jibbering.com/faq/

    FAQ server, Mar 25, 2010

  2. In comp.lang.javascript message <4baaa789$0$277$
    That is unimportant. Any set of recommendations must include checking
    against what actually happens and against the ECMA 3 and/or 5 standards.
    All books have errors, and users need to be aware of that.

    A book chooser needs, far more importantly, to choose a book or books in
    accordance with the existing level of general computer programming
    experience (for example, those who have been programming successfully
    for years only need to be shown how to write the various types of looks
    - they do not need a chapter on how useful looping can be, such as those
    who have no idea of programming might benefit from).

    To judge from the older editions, Rhino is good on JavaScript itself;
    Flamingo is briefer there, but has much reference material on what in a
    Web page JavaScript can manipulate.

    The answer to the question needs a total re-work, with the abilities of
    the potential readership the prime consideration. Many of those who
    have posted here would be better served by an "Idiot's guide" or
    "Dummies" type of book.

    Dr J R Stockton, Mar 26, 2010

  3. That statement shows that the quality of books available is judged to be
    not so good by c.l.js, followed by all of two books. It provides
    indication that the reader might be better off checking the online
    resources.
    A good book can introduce terms that, to some readers, are unfamiliar.

    The concepts of RIA development, including ECMAScript, w3c DOM (Events,
    Core, HTML), MSIE DOM, HTML, CSS, are not hard.
    Absolutely not. Those books are generally awful, as is anything
    promoting instant knowledge, e.g. "JavaScript in 24 hours".

    Garrett Smith, Mar 27, 2010
  4. It's discussed many times here. Unfortunately, at the moment i don't
    know any good books about ECMA-262 implementations. Are you think
    about FAQ notes to put in one book? With additions from another
    articles like those of kangax and Dmitry Soshnikov and with some post
    in archive of newsgroup, i think that book will be best. Of course if
    they want. The money from that books, can be used for hosting, domain
    and other things regarding support of the group FAQ.

    I'm wondering, why the domain of FAQ is: jibbering.com ? Perhaps Jim
    Ley is the creator of the FAQ? At the moment follow domain names are
    available:

    cl-js.org
    cl-js.info
    cl-js.com
    jslang.info

    Asen Bozhilov, Mar 27, 2010
  5. [...]
    Will be soon. I got a master-plan ;)

    Dmitry.

    Dmitry A. Soshnikov, Mar 27, 2010
  6. Yes, if Garrett and others members of group want, we can choice good
    domain name for FAQ and FAQ's articles.

    Asen Bozhilov, Mar 27, 2010
  7. FAQ server

    David Mark Guest

    Garrett won't even edit basic documents for fear of invalidating them.
    (!) I think asking him to move the whole thing to another domain is
    going to be too much. Actually, let me rephrase that. He'll likely be
    all for it, but won't have a clue what is really involved. Then when it
    dawns on him that it will take some real work, he'll nix it.

    David Mark, Mar 27, 2010
  8. That is a false statement.

    Garrett Smith, Mar 27, 2010
  9. What is wrong with the jibbering.com domain?

    Garrett Smith, Mar 27, 2010
  10. FAQ server

    David Mark Guest

    I don't think so. Do you need a cite? Or perhaps I misunderstood your
    blithering at the time. Good to clear it up either way.

    David Mark, Mar 27, 2010
  11. It's irrelevant with the name of the group. jibbering.com is
    registered by Jim Ley with own purposes. Perhaps he's a creator of FAQ
    and he place FAQ's material on his hosting.

    Asen Bozhilov, Mar 27, 2010
  12. In comp.lang.javascript message <hojk2i$82p$-
    september.org>, Fri, 26 Mar 2010 16:38:39, Garrett Smith
    *Might*. There are clearly many on-line resources which are much worse
    than any reasonably-well chosen book on the subject. Careful
    recommendations are needed there.

    Books have other advantages - for example, they can be put down in
    public places with much less risk of theft than is the case for a
    portable on-line reader. There is (normally) less demand from other
    family members to read one's book than there is to use the computer.

    The merits and otherwise of on-line resources should be indicated
    directly, not just by implication.

    Manifestly. Why say it?
    They are not hard. But the ability to use them well does not confer the
    ability to explain them well.

    If one looks at source code of Web Pages, it is clear that a significant
    number of coders could benefit from such simple books, but could never
    manage Flamingo or Rhino. But that is an extreme example; I cannot name
    offhand any books suitable for intermediate intellects.

    FAQ entries should be designed to help novices, not merely to show off
    the coding abilities of their authors.

    Dr J R Stockton, Mar 28, 2010