Files, directories and imports - relative to the current directoryonly

Discussion in 'Python' started by ptn, Mar 25, 2008.

  1. ptn

    ptn Guest

    Hello, group.

    I can only read files and import modules that are in the same
    directory
    as the one my script is. Here is a test script (path.py):

    import os
    import uno # some module I wrote

    print list(os.walk('~/hacking/python'))
    f = open('~/read/foo.txt')
    print f.read()

    And here is the output:

    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "path.py", line 2, in <module>
    import uno
    ImportError: No module named uno

    If I comment that import, the output becomes this:

    []
    Traceback (most recent call last):
    File "path.py", line 4, in <module>
    f = open('~/read/foo.txt')
    IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '~/read/foo.txt'

    (Notice the empty list at the beginning, that would be the output of
    os.walk().)

    I have added this line to my .bashrc:
    export PYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH:~/hacking/python
    I thought that by doing so all the scripts found in that directory and
    all it's children would be available for import, but that doesn't seem
    to be the case. As for the other problems, I have no idea.

    So, what's wrong here? Maybe there's something I haven't set up?

    ptn, Mar 25, 2008

  2. Simple: the directory "~" doesn't exist. Since you're not using a
    shell (but direct file access) there is no tilde expansion, and "~"
    is treated as a regular file name. If you need to get the home
    directory refer to the environment variable HOME
    (os.environ["HOME"]). There even may be a shorter way, please refer
    to the os module docs.

    Regards,

    Björn

    Bjoern Schliessmann, Mar 25, 2008

  3. En Tue, 25 Mar 2008 15:35:34 -0300, Bjoern Schliessmann
    That shorter way being os.path.expanduser
    http://docs.python.org/lib/module-os.path.html

    Gabriel Genellina, Mar 25, 2008
  4. ptn

    ptrk.mcm Guest

    i'm not sure why you are unable to import uno (assuming uno is at ~/
    hacking/python/uno.py) after exporting the PYTHONPATH variable. an
    alternative way to incorporate uno is to change sys.path, the list of
    search paths

    import sys
    sys.path.append(os.path.expanduser('~/hacking/python'))
    import uno

    ptrk.mcm, Mar 26, 2008