Filtering DataSets for Reporting Application

Need2CSharp

Hi All,

I'm working on reporting (web) application for my company that
displays order information. It has approximately 15 - 20 different
filter options so that various departments can extract data they need
to view. I'm using a normalized, relational MSSQL 2005 database, which
contains 37 tables.

I would prefer not to execute query after query against the database.
Instead, I want to select what I need once and store the data in a
DataSet, where each DataTable stores data from a single table in the
database. After I have all my data in memory, I want to apply any
filters that have been selected. If this is the wrong approach, stop
reading here and let me know! If it is the right approach, what is the
best way to get all this data into a DataSet? Do I really need to
specifiy a query for each table (whether I use an untyped sql
statement, or a strongly typed one)? Also, please note that I am not
applying any updates back to the database. I'm simply getting the data
and filtering it in order to bind the object to a GridView control.

I will be creating a custom Filter class. After I have my DataSet, I
would like to iterate through a collection in my Filter class and
apply the appropriate filter to the DataSet. The only way I have found
to filter is by using the
RowFilter property of the DataView class. This is fine, but I can't
seem to figure out how to update my DataSet with the filtered results
from the DataView. How do I do that? And if the DataTable being
filtered in the DataView is related to another table in my DataSet,
will the related table be updated accordingly?

Please help! As you can see, I have many questions and I'm a bit lost.
Let me know if you need more detail.

Thanks!