Firefox, css and html web developer tools

dorayme

In my FF, from the web developing tools, you can "edit css" (live
- btw - a really cool feature). Also, similar with html. In both
cases a frame appears to the left of the webpage in which the css
or html is displayed. In the case of the css, there is a mini tab
heading in this frame, called, not surprisingly, "Edit CSS". It
looks as if there could be more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next
to it. And then you could flip from one to the other for "live"
editing of either. But this is not so.

The roughly equivalent looking html edit feature - also in left
frame - can be chosen but the css editing feature then
disappears. And, if you look closely, the heading for the Edit
HTML is not in a tab heading, though it is in the same place.

I do realise that being open source there are all sorts of things
being developed, not everything being integrated perfectly with
other things. Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
tabable from within the left frame. It would be nice not to have
to choose a different menu item in the developer bar, lose the
other one and so on.

Not looking for alternative ways of managing things, there are
millions. I want this! Have I missed how to make it happen?

Beauregard T. Shagnasty

dorayme said:
In the case of the css, there is a mini tab heading in this frame,
called, not surprisingly, "Edit CSS". It looks as if there could be
more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next to it. And then you could flip
from one to the other for "live" editing of either. But this is not
so.

There would be multiple tabs for multiple style sheets, and also for
embedded styles in the document.

Stan McCann

In my FF, from the web developing tools, you can "edit css" (live
- btw - a really cool feature). Also, similar with html. In both
snip

other things. Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
tabable from within the left frame. It would be nice not to have
to choose a different menu item in the developer bar, lose the
other one and so on.

Not looking for alternative ways of managing things, there are
millions. I want this! Have I missed how to make it happen?

Just as good IMO is using UltraEdit opening the HTML file in one tab,
the CSS in another; both open from FTP. I click on the save button in
UE and a refresh in FF give me much the functionality as you describe.
Crimson Editor does this also and is free instead of the $30? for UE.
The difference is if you need secure ftp, CE doesn't do it.

HTH

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

No - it's used if there are multiple CSS files linked to the page (or
inline CSS).

Yes, you are right. I had previously noticed this re css - but I
confess, forgot it when posting this! I was rather more
concentrating on the extra tab for html that I imagined and
wanted!
Unfortunately, no. But it certainly would be nice.

Must get onto the FF sites to see if this thought could be put
into geeky heads... but similar is perhaps likely to have been
discussed...

It _is_ very nice not having to go back and forth between source
files and webpages via different apps (and all the clicking and
saving that that entails) but the usefulness is blunted by quite
a few complexities, one mentioned in this thread and others to do
with saving changes...

It is quite sophisticated, the thought that has gone into these
FF tools and we can surely expect to see better and cooler...

dorayme

Stan McCann said:
Just as good IMO is using UltraEdit opening the HTML file in one tab,
the CSS in another; both open from FTP. I click on the save button in
UE and a refresh in FF give me much the functionality as you describe.
Crimson Editor does this also and is free instead of the $30? for UE.
The difference is if you need secure ftp, CE doesn't do it.

Sounds good Stan, but I am on a Mac...

I am quite happy really with using a good editor (in my case
BBEdit) and seeing the changes in a browser. Just that this FF
editing was rather neat for a small amount of forensic
fossicking...

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
It
looks as if there could be more tabs, perhaps an "Edit HTML" next
to it. And then you could flip from one to the other for "live"
editing of either. But this is not so.

No - it's used if there are multiple CSS files linked to the page (or
inline CSS).
The roughly equivalent looking html edit feature - also in left
frame - can be chosen but the css editing feature then
disappears. And, if you look closely, the heading for the Edit
HTML is not in a tab heading, though it is in the same place.

Because there can be only one HTML file linked to an HTML file. :)
Just wondering if anyone knows any tricks or
downloads to get both the css and html editing features to be
tabable from within the left frame.

Unfortunately, no. But it certainly would be nice.

Mark Parnell

Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme
Must get onto the FF sites to see if this thought could be put
into geeky heads... but similar is perhaps likely to have been
discussed...

You'd be better off going to Chris Pederick's site - he does the web
developer toolbar.
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/

In fact, you'll see that he already has it on his to do list:
"Add support for using multiple Web Developer sidebars at the same time"
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/documentation/todo/

dorayme

Mark Parnell said:
Deciding to do something for the good of humanity, dorayme

You'd be better off going to Chris Pederick's site - he does the web
developer toolbar.
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/
Good try Mark, but not so fast! I am staying here, I like it
here, despite the chilly atmosphere towards me that I feel in my
bones from time to time.
In fact, you'll see that he already has it on his to do list:
"Add support for using multiple Web Developer sidebars at the same time"
http://chrispederick.com/work/webdeveloper/documentation/todo/

Excellent. As I vaguely guessed. If an idea is good, some other
bastard has usually thought it. Plus it saves me trouble this
info of yours, you see, the problem is this:

In this "Sitepoint" FF book, it says that if you are to be taken
notice of by developers you must adopt a serious and professional
manner. Now, I did wear fairly formal gear at my own daughter's
wedding in a gesture... But when my darling's back was turned,
the crowd cornered me and beat me up badly for the wanky
pretence... And quite rightly too!

ho hum...