Forms Authentication vs MembershipProvider

Rory Becker

Having now created a Custom MembershipProvider that seems to work correctly
with my Logon and ChangePassword controls, I am, as they say, a happy bunny.

The next stange is to move on to the creation of content which adjusts based
on the user.

I have several pages which require a user to be logged on and several which
do not. Prior to this point in time I have used 2 different master pages.
one with a control which checks a session variable to determine logged on
or not and another which does not.

Each page is pointed at the correct master page and away you go.

I have heard of forms authentication and the little I have read leads me
to believe that I could rearrange my pages in a hierarchy so that pages requiring
authentication were in one folder and pages not requiring authentication
were in another.

Can someone tell me...

1.> what is the relationship between Forms Authentication and the Provider
model I am using?
2.> Does Membership replace Authentication?
3.> Does Roles replace Authorisation?
4.> Can I use Authorisation with Membership?
5.> Does any of what I'm saying make any sense?

Many thanks in advance.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Rory,

First, I'm glad that you've got custom membership provider working, great
progress :)

For the question here, let me confirm my understanding, you have multiple
pages which use membership and authentication, you're wondering how to make
some of those pages require user to logon/authenticated and some other
doesn't (allow unauthenticated/anonymous users), correct?

For Forms authentication and membershp service, they're actually two
separate things. Forms authentication starts at the begining of
ASP.NET(1.0,1.1..), while membership service start from ASP.NET 2.0.
Forms authentication is a authenticaiton schema(like windows
authenticaiton) which is used to provide security authorization (protect
pages or url resource in asp.net app). It can work without using membershp.

And for membership, it is a service which used to help easily build up a
user account system so that we can use standard API to manage user
account(such as validate a useraccount, change or update it .....). You can
also use membershp service without using Forms authentication.

Anyway, they are used together in most cases. Here are some good resource
for you to get more ideas on this.

#Explained: Forms Authentication in ASP.NET 2.0

#ASP.NET Forms Authentication - Part 1
http://www.ondotnet.com/pub/a/dotnet/2003/01/06/formsauthp1.html

#ASP.NET 2.0 Membership, Roles, Forms Authentication, and Security Resources
http://weblogs.asp.net/scottgu/archive/2006/02/24/ASP.NET-2.0-Membership_2C0
0_-Roles_2C00_-Forms-Authentication_2C00_-and-Security-Resources-.aspx

Now for the questions here, to make some pages require authetication while
some other not, the ASP.NET forms authentication has built-in support on
this. You can use <location> element in web.config file to specify the
authorization setting for a particular url (such as a sub folder or a
parituclar page).

#How do I use Forms Authentication for only a portion of my site?
http://www.dnzone.com/ShowDetail.asp?NewsId=60

#location Element (ASP.NET Settings Schema)
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/b6x6shw7.aspx

another means is putting different pages into differnt sub directory and
you can put a web.config in sub directory to have its own <authorization>
setting.

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 16:10:24 +0000 (UTC)
From: Rory Becker <[email protected]>
Subject: Forms Authentication vs MembershipProvider

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Rory,

Does the information in previous messages help you some or do you still
have any questions about the forms authentication or membership service? If
so, please feel free to post here.

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 06:02:22 GMT
Subject: RE: Forms Authentication vs MembershipProvider

Rory Becker

Hello Steven Cheng [MSFT],
Hi Rory,

Does the information in previous messages help you some or do you
still have any questions about the forms authentication or membership
service? If so, please feel free to post here.

Sorry for the delay in responding Steven. Work tends to throw me in different
directions at strange times.

I am currently stuck trying to rearrange our sourcecontrol systems so that
we might suitably branch our source for experimentation in areas such as
this. Hopefully I will be past those issues soon.

Your post has certainly given me food for thought, thanks for that. (No really...
I mean that :) )

Unfortunately it looks like, once again, I am about to be diverted to other
concerns. I will revisit this thread if I have any further questions.

Thanks once again for you help

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks for your quick reply Rory,

Sure, no problem. I can understand that it's really hard to manage all the
things when there are so many tasks concurrently. Anyway, please feel free
to post here whenever you continue work on this and need any help.

Good luck!