FreeRIDE - Way too many warnings

Ab Cd

Whenever I start FreeRIDE I get a ton of warnings. It takes a long time
to start as well, probably because it is I/O bound to the console
window.

Suggestions?

Jonathan

2.so: warning: already initialized constant FOLDINGLIST_ROOT_BOXES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant FOLDINGLIST_NORMAL
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_LOOKUPTIMER
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_HEADER_CHANGE
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_LAST
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_EXTENDEDSELECT
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_SINGLESELECT
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_BROWSESELECT
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_MULTIPLESELECT
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_AUTOSELECT
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_SHOWS_LINES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_SHOWS_BOXES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_ROOT_BOXES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant TREELIST_NORMAL
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_LOOKUPTIMER
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_LAST
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant DIRLIST_SHOWFILES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant DIRLIST_SHOWHIDDEN
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant DIRLIST_NO_OWN_ASSOC
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_REFRESHTIMER
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_SHOW_FILES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_HIDE_FILES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_TOGGLE_FILES
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_SHOW_HIDDEN
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_HIDE_HIDDEN
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_TOGGLE_HIDDEN
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_SET_PATTERN
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_SORT_REVERSE
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_SORT_CASE
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_REFRESH
C:/Program
Files/Ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/fxruby-1.2.6-mswin32/ext/fox12/fox1
2.so: warning: already initialized constant ID_LAST

matt

Whenever I start FreeRIDE I get a ton of warnings. It takes a long
time
to start as well, probably because it is I/O bound to the console
window.

Suggestions?

Yes 2 of them:
1) Don't post the thousands of repeated errors to the list
2) Ask the fx ruby folks what the problem is.

Jonathan Allen

matt said:
On Sun, 2007-01-21 at 03:32 +0900, Ab Cd wrote:

Yes 2 of them:
1) Don't post the thousands of repeated errors to the list
2) Ask the fx ruby folks what the problem is.

You mind telling me who the fx ruby people are and how to contact them?

All I have is the whatever came with the base installation at
www.ruby-lang.org, so I assumed it was something core to the language.

matt

Jonathan Allen

matt said:
Yes 2 of them:
1) Don't post the thousands of repeated errors to the list
2) Ask the fx ruby folks what the problem is.

They say its Ruby's fault for putting the bug in v1.8.5 and FreeRide's
fault for not upgrading to FX Ruby v1.6. Though I suppose they share
part of the blame for not making backwards compatible.

Now what?

Jonathan

matt

They say its Ruby's fault for putting the bug in v1.8.5 and FreeRide's
fault for not upgrading to FX Ruby v1.6. Though I suppose they share
part of the blame for not making backwards compatible.

Now what?

Jonathan

1. Fix the bug in ruby and submit patch
2. fix FreeRides dependency to use a newer version of FXRuby
or
3. Find another IDE.

try VI or [X]Emacs or pico or notepad or word or works or OpenOffice
or...

ohh you want an all in one... try Eclipse or RadRails I've never used
either of them, but they (among others) have gotten good reviews.

Matt

Jonathan Allen

matt said:
I must be in a good mood. Didn't even get laid last night....

http://www.google.com/search?q=fxru...org.mozilla:en-US:unofficial&client=firefox-a

returned this in position numero uno:
http://www.fxruby.org/

And this in numero treso:
http://rubyforge.org/projects/fxruby/

Gee thanks for being ever so helpful. It was so nice of you to almost
point out which of the 148,000 pages returned by google the FX Ruby
developers hang out on. I'm not even annoyed that you didn't mention
item 4, which actually had the correct mailing list.

And now I realize how hard it would have been to just go ahead and give
me the right URL when you originally suggested I contact them. For
crying out loud, you might have had to actually think about your
response to my question.

You see, I have been ever so spoiled by hanging out in the Microsoft
forums. I'm used to people answering questions with useful information
and links in case I want to know more.

Jonathan

matt

Gee thanks for being ever so helpful. It was so nice of you to almost
point out which of the 148,000 pages returned by google the FX Ruby
developers hang out on. I'm not even annoyed that you didn't mention
item 4, which actually had the correct mailing list.

And now I realize how hard it would have been to just go ahead and give
me the right URL when you originally suggested I contact them. For
crying out loud, you might have had to actually think about your
response to my question.

You see, I have been ever so spoiled by hanging out in the Microsoft
forums. I'm used to people answering questions with useful information
and links in case I want to know more.

Jonathan
Yes, but I saved you from having to type "www.google.com" and then find
a text box to type in "fxruby" and then click submit.

See how many keystrokes I just saved you from typing? Not to mention
that your wrists are now at a reduced risk of developing carpal tunnel.

And to think that for a moment I thought you were implying that I was
self-serving and arrogant.

Jonathan Allen

1. Fix the bug in ruby and submit patch
2. fix FreeRides dependency to use a newer version of FXRuby
or
3. Find another IDE.

try VI or [X]Emacs or pico or notepad or word or works or OpenOffice
or...

ohh you want an all in one... try Eclipse or RadRails I've never used
either of them, but they (among others) have gotten good reviews.

Matt

Let me get this straight. You are telling a newbie with one day of
experience that if I need to track down and fix a bug in the core of the
language itself.

Anyone else want to pick up this thread. Maybe tell me how and where to
submit bug reports? Or do you guys not do that?

Jonathan

Timothy Hunter

Jonathan said:
Anyone else want to pick up this thread. Maybe tell me how and where to
submit bug reports? Or do you guys not do that?
Please accept my apologies, on behalf of the Ruby community, for your
reception on this mailing list. Normally we are quite civilized and
supportive of new Rubyists.

You don't have to report this problem. It is well-known. Search the
Google archives for earlier discussions if you're interested. I believe
this bug report
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5701&group_id=426&atid=1698
addresses the problem.

Welcome to Ruby!

Jonathan Allen

Timothy said:
Please accept my apologies, on behalf of the Ruby community, for your
reception on this mailing list. Normally we are quite civilized and
supportive of new Rubyists.

You don't have to report this problem. It is well-known. Search the
Google archives for earlier discussions if you're interested. I believe
this bug report
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5701&group_id=426&atid=1698
addresses the problem.

Welcome to Ruby!

Thanks, I really appreciate that. It is so hard to find ones way around
a new community, especially when you run into problems right from the
start.

Do you know if anyone has of list of which components are still
supported and which are not?

If I'm ever going to use Ruby in production, knowing what stuff has
already reached end of life is vital. And apparently I cannot blindly
trust the main Ruby distribution to be up to date.

Jonathan

matt

Please accept my apologies, on behalf of the Ruby community, for your
reception on this mailing list. Normally we are quite civilized and
supportive of new Rubyists.

You don't have to report this problem. It is well-known. Search the
Google archives for earlier discussions if you're interested. I believe
this bug report
http://rubyforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=5701&group_id=426&atid=1698
addresses the problem.

Welcome to Ruby!

There's no need to apologize on anyone's behalf (I'm certainly not
sorry, and I don't consider what I did rude either). Remember, I did his
homework for him, and presented several options of how to proceed. I
should be thanked for presenting the information on a hyper-text
platter. And we should pity and feel sorry for those that have
forgotten (or never knew) how to do research on there own. But don't
worry, over time, they can be trained.

Welcome to reality.

Jonathan Allen

matt said:
There's no need to apologize on anyone's behalf (I'm certainly not
sorry, and I don't consider what I did rude either). Remember, I did his
homework for him, and presented several options of how to proceed. I
should be thanked for presenting the information on a hyper-text
platter. And we should pity and feel sorry for those that have
forgotten (or never knew) how to do research on there own. But don't
worry, over time, they can be trained.

Welcome to reality.

Tell me something, why do you bother?

I mean, clearly the only "help" you are willing to offer to people like
me is to tell us how do google searches. So why not just ignore the
question and let someone else field the answer?

And does it really bother you that much that I was unable to find the
information on my own? Is not the purpose of this forum for helping
people use Ruby? 'Cause if its not, let me know and I will go elsewhere.

From where I stand, all you are doing is wasting both my time and yours.
Is you faith in the all mighty search engine really worth alienating a
new user?

Jonathan

Br Willi

matt said:
There's no need to apologize on anyone's behalf (I'm certainly not
sorry, and I don't consider what I did rude either). Remember, I did his
homework for him, and presented several options of how to proceed. I
should be thanked for presenting the information on a hyper-text
platter. And we should pity and feel sorry for those that have
forgotten (or never knew) how to do research on there own. But don't
worry, over time, they can be trained.

Welcome to reality.

I pity those that have forgotten (or never knew) the difference between
"there", "their", and "they're".

Gavin Sinclair

There's no need to apologize on anyone's behalf (I'm certainly not
sorry, and I don't consider what I did rude either).

I offer my condolences too, Johnathan. Statistically, you're very
likely to get a nicer response next time :)

Cheers,
Gavin

Timothy Hunter

Jonathan said:
Thanks, I really appreciate that. It is so hard to find ones way around
a new community, especially when you run into problems right from the
start.

Do you know if anyone has of list of which components are still
supported and which are not?

If I'm ever going to use Ruby in production, knowing what stuff has
already reached end of life is vital. And apparently I cannot blindly
trust the main Ruby distribution to be up to date.

Jonathan
To the best of my knowledge all the components in the 1.8.5 one-click
installer are completely supported. The problem you've encountered is
known. Apparently it is currently considered as a problem in Ruby
itself, not FreeRIDE. I see from the bug report that it is currently
assigned to Ruby's inventor, Matz.

Typically the one-click installer goes through many pre-release versions
before the final. When it is next released you'll have plenty of
opportunity to test the components and offer feedback. Instead of blind
trust you'll have your own hands-on evaluation, and the rest of the
community will benefit from your work.

Mark Volkmann

The answer to that is quite simple, the only help you needed was
knowing who
to ask 'the fx ruby people' and how to find them. Personally I
think I
think the help was presented in a light hearted manner, but feel
free to
disagree.

Time is precious to each and every one of us, so doing some
research before
asking questions, is more than just a courtesy. Do your reseach,
ask clear
questions and most of the time your question gets answered.

Since Matt answered your second question, he really must have been
in a good
mood.

We really shouldn't get into long threads discussing who was polite
and who wasn't. Despite that, I can't resist jumping to the posters
defense here and saying that I didn't find Matt's replies "light
hearted" at all. I found them to be on the rude side.

Luciano Ramalho

Most car accidents involving two vehicles are the fault of both drivers.

Same here. One asked a question that Google could easily answer, and
the other told him so, and thus offended him.

People who are somewhat new to FLOSS communities sometimes don't even
think about googling for answers, because the information they need
would be private in a proprietary platform. For instance, it is very
hard to discover who is responsible for a certain component of
Microsoft Visual Studio. And even if you do find out, they are usually
not accessible to an outsider. So it's easy to understand why the

Welcome to Ruby and Free/Libre/OpenSource Software in general, Jonathan!

Cheers,

Luciano

Jonathan Allen

People who are somewhat new to FLOSS communities sometimes don't even
think about googling for answers, because the information they need
would be private in a proprietary platform.

Luciano, do you have any idea how rude and arrogant you are being right
now?

People coming from the MS world know damn well how to use a search
engine. It is generally the first thing we try before going to the news
groups.

In fact, in this case the first thing I did was search google for the
error messages I was seeing.
Time is precious to each and every one of us, so doing some research
before
asking questions, is more than just a courtesy. Do your reseach, ask
clear
questions and most of the time your question gets answered.

That is a complete load of bullshit. Matt alone has already spent more
time on saying how much of a lazy idiot I am than he did answering my
question. And that doesn't count the time all of you spend either
defending or critizing him.

All I asked was that Matt give me a complete answer. On any other
newsgroup, the person would have had the foresight to think "Maybe this
person would like to know HOW to contact the people I told him to talk
to." It isn't like it would have taken him any extra time.

As for research, I did it BEFORE I found this forum. Once I was in a
conversation with Matt, he was a going to help me through my problem.

******

I have something to say about the general attitude of the people on the
Microsoft groups compared to that of this list.

On a Microsoft lists, I have never heard someone say "Why didn't you
search of Google?" or "Didn't you read the manual?" There is a general
assumption that if the person is asking a question than obviously they
have tried the other routes and were unsuccessful.

Likewise, if I are going to help someone I spend the time to actually
help them. That often means I have do to a little bit of research on my
own in order to give a complete answer. If I don't have that time, then
I let someone else answer the question. Better no answer at all than a
useless one.

If you guys are serious about pulling people from the closed source
world, then some of your members really need to learn how to treat
people with kindess respect. Especially frustrated newbies who have not
yet learned where to look for information. And that includes that you
stop assuming they are too lazy or stupid to use google.

That said, I still don't have an answer to my question about how to fix
FreeRIDE.

Jonathan