FreeRIDE: Where does the output go?

basi

I'm trying out FreeRIDE and I have a truly embarrassing question.

I enter the command:

puts "Hello, Ruby"

then hit Run, and all I see in the Output View is
ruby C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE\untitled1.rb
exit

Where did the output Hello, Ruby go?

thanks

Tony Patterson

Hi

Maybe you need to go into the "Preferences" from the "Edit" menu.
Choose the Debugger/Run panel, and make sure "Run process in terminal"
is checked.

Hope that helps.

Tony

daz

basi said:
I'm trying out FreeRIDE and I have a truly embarrassing question.

I enter the command:

puts "Hello, Ruby"

then hit Run, and all I see in the Output View is

Where did the output Hello, Ruby go?

Hi,

A very valid question. Are you using Windows 9x ?

I get this error message in the console window:

"Cannot find file 'CMD' (or one of its components). Check to
ensure the path and filename are correct and that all required
libraries are available."

.... which comes from around line 150 in:

\FreeRIDE\plugins\rubyide_tools_fox_script_runner\script_runner.rb

( command = "start CMD /c "+command )

CMD.exe is not available to 9x/ME users.

Should there be a "#{ENV['COMSPEC']}" in there somewhere
to pick up COMMAND.COM, also ?
Having said that, it makes no improvement for me and I'm
not sure whether IO.popen() works on 9x.

daz

Curt Hibbs

basi said:
I'm trying out FreeRIDE and I have a truly embarrassing question.

I enter the command:

puts "Hello, Ruby"

then hit Run, and all I see in the Output View is

Where did the output Hello, Ruby go?

thanks

Curt Hibbs

This is really weird... somehow all of the text that I typed in my
response disappeared! So here it is again...

If you have the "Run process in terminal" option checked (which you
always should on Windows), then FreeRIDE's output pane should only contain:

ruby C:\Program Files\FreeRIDE\untitled1.rb
exit

as you reported about. FreeRIDE should open a separate Windows command
line window in which you should see:

Hello, Ruby!
Press ENTER to close the window...

I just ran this on my Windows XP SP2 system and copied the text from the
command line window into this email, so I know it works on my system.

Curt

basi

Hi,
No, it doesn't open a separate Windows command line window. There must
be a setting somewhere that I missed.
Basi

basi

Yes, it flashes open a separate window, but the window closes quickly.
How do I make the window stay open until I press ENTER to make it
disappear?

basi

Yes, it flashes open another window but it closes the window quickly.
How do I make this window stay open until I press ENTER?

Thanks,
basi

Curt Hibbs

basi said:
Yes, it flashes open another window but it closes the window quickly.
How do I make this window stay open until I press ENTER?

Hmmm... it should stay open. I don't understand why its closing.

You could put a call got sleep() or gets() at the end of your Ruby program.

Curt

Chuck Brotman

basi said:
Hi,
No, it doesn't open a separate Windows command line window. There must
be a setting somewhere that I missed.
Basi
Basi, Curt,

FWIW, I've had similar problems of the command window flashing by o n my
WinXP SP2 system. I have, on occasion seen it give me the "hit enter ...."
prompt but more often I've had to put a put/get prompt of my own into my
code. I run with the "run in console" box checked.

Laurent Julliard

basi said:
Yes, it flashes open another window but it closes the window quickly.
How do I make this window stay open until I press ENTER?

Thanks,
basi

Basi,

Can you try this:

a) edit the file freeride/plugins/rubyide_tools_debugger/debugger.rb
b) on line 188 remove the # to activate the putsw command
c) launch your script from Freeride as usual. You should see the
command printed in the text console form which you run FR
d) copy paste this command in another console, run it and see if there
is any error message showing up.

Laurent