Function tracing

jimocz

Hi,
I have a set of libraries that I have built. I also have a main
program recently built. I need to deliver source code for the main.
I want to deliver the minimal set of library functions. This means I
need a tool to recursively go through the main and list the functions/
methods called. I have dissembled the code with compiler but with
name mangling it is not so easy to determine the functions. I can do
this by hand but there must be an easy tool available that will
generate a mapping. I tried a couple of free UML tools but they
seemed to barf at some C function calls embedded within the code.
They just ignore them. Is there an easy tool to save me hours of
manual labor?
Thanx,
Jimocz

mlimber

I have a set of libraries that I have built.  I also have a main
program recently built.  I need to deliver source code for the main.
I want to deliver the minimal set of library functions.  This means I
need a tool to recursively go through the main and list the functions/
methods called.  I have dissembled the code with compiler but with
name mangling it is not so easy to determine the functions.  I can do
this by hand but there must be an easy tool available that will
generate a mapping.  I tried a couple of free UML tools but they
seemed to barf at some C function calls embedded within the code.
They just ignore them.   Is there an easy tool to save me hours of
manual labor?

Tools are platform dependent and thus off-topic in a group about the
standard C++ language proper. Ask on a group for your platform or
development tools.

<OT>On unix, look for "nm" which will show you all the accounted for
and unaccounted for symbols and has a demangling option.</OT>

Cheers! --M

AnonMail2005

Hi,
I have a set of libraries that I have built.  I also have a main
program recently built.  I need to deliver source code for the main.
I want to deliver the minimal set of library functions.  This means I
need a tool to recursively go through the main and list the functions/
methods called.  I have dissembled the code with compiler but with
name mangling it is not so easy to determine the functions.  I can do
this by hand but there must be an easy tool available that will
generate a mapping.  I tried a couple of free UML tools but they
seemed to barf at some C function calls embedded within the code.
They just ignore them.   Is there an easy tool to save me hours of
manual labor?
Thanx,
Jimocz

Try Doxygen. With a little configuration, you can generate call
graphs of your code. It will also show directory dependencies which
is very handy if you place code for one library in one directory.

HTH