FW: [ANN] PostGIS on Rails, another take...

DarkkEclipse

This is from Rails mailing list.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Robert Thau" <[email protected]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Wednesday, April 26, 2006 12:16 AM
Subject: [ANN] IvyGIS --- Rails Engine for custom maps.

Hi. I'm announcing a Rails Engine for presenting maps based on your
own data, either rendered by Mapserver, or pulled directly out of
geometric database tables stored by PostGIS. There's a demo here:

http://ivygis.mgxkernel.com:3000/canada

which shows a tiled, draggable version of a Mapserver demo map, with
mouse-sensitive park polygons and railroads (SVG in Firefox 1.5+, VML
in IE). The data for the mouse-sensitive objects is being pulled live
out of PostGIS, and processed for display as SVG or VML, whichever the
browser supports.

More on the package can be found here:

http://ivygis.justec.co.in/

including downloads and instructions. There are two ways to get the
code right now. One is a tar file containing the engine and nothing
but the engine; that's here:

http://ivygis.justec.co.in/downloads.html

That requires you to have Postgresql, PostGIS, Mapserver, Ruby
Mapscript, and all their dependencies installed --- which can,
regrettably be a real pain in the neck. So, the quickest way to try
it out might be to use a FOSS GIS suite package which rolls up the
engine, the demo apps, Ruby Mapscript, and Rails 1.1.2 into an
all-in-one "instant IvyGIS" package --- instructions for installing
that are here:

http://ivygis.justec.co.in/documentation.html

(FWIW, this package includes the ruby-postgres gem, but the code has
been tried at least briefly with the postgres and postgres-pr gems as
well, with no *obvious* problems).

Development of this code has been supported by Japan Spatial
Information Technology, Inc., and I've got their permission to release
it on the same terms as PostGIS --- that is, GPLed. (We may be
switching to a less restrictive license later, as management permits,
but it's GPLed for now). We hope you have fun with it.

Robert Thau
(e-mail address removed)

*** ***