FYI: pyBoards.com

Behrang Dadsetan

A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..

Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?

Ben.

Wilk

Tyler Eaves said:
Why? Right tool for the job and all that...

It's not the right tool, php board system are very heavy to host. A
webserver with in memory persistence data will be ideal for this kind of
things.
They exists in zope i think, but it's a little bit heavy also... We have
a lot of webserver in python, we shall do somethings !

With google i found this one :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/tboard
"Design Goals (In short: a phpBB clone with various power-ups)"

Guyon Morée

I like the initiative for a messageboard for Python, but I think it would be
similar to this newsgroup.... and I am quite happy with it so I don't
really see a use for it imho

Gilles Lenfant

Behrang Dadsetan said:
A bit a pitty the message board system is php based..

Does anyone know about message board systems written in python?

The right question is : "does the web tool comply the requirements ?"

Personnally, I prefer phpMySQLadmin to most python stuff in that scope.
Despite I prefer programming with Python.

--Gilles

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=

Guyon Morée said:
I like the initiative for a messageboard for Python, but I think it would be
similar to this newsgroup.... and I am quite happy with it so I don't
really see a use for it imho

Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big plus) and more
interactive. At least when I post here from Google Groups, it takes
3-6 hours for the message to arrive :p. Many questions thus are answered
5 times by different people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive
quicker if I used a mail program for posting.

Paul McNett

Hannu said:
Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big
plus) and more interactive. At least when I post here from
Google Groups, it takes 3-6 hours for the message to arrive
:p. Many questions thus are answered 5 times by different
people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive quicker
if I used a mail program for posting.

Yes, using a mail program, I see responses immediately (within a
couple minutes usually).

Peter Hansen

Hannu said:
Message boards are more user friendly, better organized (big plus) and more
interactive. At least when I post here from Google Groups, it takes
3-6 hours for the message to arrive :p. Many questions thus are answered
5 times by different people. But I don't know if the messages would arrive
quicker if I used a mail program for posting.

Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

The mailing list should be effectively instantaneous in comparison.

-Peter

Aahz

Google Groups likely takes its feed directly of a Usenet site, and Usenet
in general suffers from large propagation delay. It is that delay, caused
by messages filtering slowly across the Usenet network, which leads to the
"5 answers" problem, not Google Groups itself.

Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
depending on where you're located.

Peter Hansen

Aahz said:
Actually, Google uses at least two or three feeds (including
stanford.edu, which has a super-competent news admin), and Usenet
propagation is actually little short of e-mail speeds these days,
depending on where you're located.

That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Aahz

That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Peter, you're thinking less clearly than usual. ;-) My point was that
the delay does *not* come from the time it takes to propagate to Google,
but from the delay required to index and publish the index. Google's
indexing technology is nothing short of amazing, but it is poor for
realtime updating of the index. In the past, they have generally
updated the index only twice per day -- and quite frankly, given *my*
experience with full-text indexing (I used to work for Verity), I
consider that to be *frequent* updating given how bloody fast Google's
index is.

Bengt Richter

That might be, but empirically I've seen posts that I've made take
hours to get there, and I've seen posts that were made to the mailing
list (and copied to me directly) take hours to get there. In both
cases, there is an "upwards" propagation delay towards whatever hosts
Google is milking before stanford.edu or the others will see it...

Well, compare just in this thread how stuff got to me
(I broke paths with '\\' for clarity and removed return addresses):
===============================
From: (=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Hannu_Kankaanp=E4=E4?=)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Paul McNett
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Peter Hansen
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: (Aahz)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

From: Peter Hansen
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python
Note that path from Peter was not the same both times.
Then, looking at one of my own posts in another thread:

From: (Bengt Richter)
Newsgroups: comp.lang.python

Regards,
Bengt Richter