Get Datas from MS-Exchange ?

pcouas

Hi,

I search an free API for connecting my Java Application with an
MS-Exchange 2003.
I search an LDAP API connection, or perhaps an COM Bridge like JACOB
Do you have an idea ?

Regards

Philippe

Brandon McCombs

pcouas said:
Hi,

I search an free API for connecting my Java Application with an
MS-Exchange 2003.
I search an LDAP API connection, or perhaps an COM Bridge like JACOB
Do you have an idea ?

Regards

Philippe

To talk the Exchange protocol specifically (MAPI) and not standard SMTP
you are very limited when it comes to a Java API. I've only found one
library that provides a Java API for MAPI (there are tons of C/C++ APIs
though) and that is the J-Integra library. Depending on your licensing
the API can be very expensive (which caused the project I was on to go
down a different route by using a C++ .dll and calling it using JNI in
Java).
http://j-integra.intrinsyc.com/products/exchange/

Hope that helps you

Gordon Beaton

I just found this project

http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmapi

But from my Linux, it's not good

You can use any POP3 or IMAP client to talk to Exchange, which
supports both protocols in addition to MAPI. Try JavaMail.

In your original post you mentioned LDAP. Any LDAP client should work
with Exchange to get e.g. address book information. A search for Java
LDAP should result in many hits.

/gordon

pcouas

Hi,

I want get result from EXCHANGE. Currently My Application support
OPENLDAP (jldap)and Notes (notes.jar) and Outlook (Jacob)

It seems me MAPI protocol need an Third part vendor and is not include
in JavaMail itself for reading Contact list ?

Regards
Philippe

Gordon Beaton

I want get result from EXCHANGE. Currently My Application support
OPENLDAP (jldap)and Notes (notes.jar) and Outlook (Jacob)

It seems me MAPI protocol need an Third part vendor and is not
include in JavaMail itself for reading Contact list ?

MAPI is a proprietary protocol, but YOU DON'T NEED MAPI.

Exchange supports IMAP and POP3 for reading mail, as does JavaMail.
Exchange also supports LDAP, which you can (AFAIK) use to read from
contact lists.

/gordon

pcouas

Ok, but Jdap API which is Java Api for OPENLDAP don't support EXCHANGE
?
Which free LDAP JAVA implementation could i use for reading contact
list from Exchange server ?

Gordon Beaton

Ok, but Jdap API which is Java Api for OPENLDAP don't support
EXCHANGE ? Which free LDAP JAVA implementation could i use for
reading contact list from Exchange server ?

I have used several more or less randomly chosen LDAP browsers to
communicate with an Exchange server without any problems. I don't
believe that OpenLDAP or JLDAP are incapable of this, so perhaps you
need to check your configuration or ensure that the LDAP server is
enabled in Exchange.

At any rate searching for Java LDAP gives many hits, including this
one (which I have just confirmed with our Exchange server):

http://www-unix.mcs.anl.gov/~gawor/ldap/

/gordon

Brandon McCombs

pcouas said:
Ok, but Jdap API which is Java Api for OPENLDAP don't support EXCHANGE
?
Which free LDAP JAVA implementation could i use for reading contact
list from Exchange server ?

Depending on where the data is stored that you want to access you may
not even need to access the Exchange server itself.

let me explain a bit:

Exchange uses ADS for it's infrastructure. Exchange really only controls
the storage of your mail, not the configuration of email addresses and
other things.

The following is based on personal experience with a project (not my
senior project that I talk about later) I worked on within the past year
for my job:
If you want to let a user access their outlook contacts then you will be
accessing something on the user's machine, not on the exchange server
(data from the exchange server is cached in outlook which alleviates the
need for you to go to the server in that case). This requires MAPI due
to a patch that Microsoft includes in Office 2000 SP3 (and included in
Office 2003) that shows a warning message to the user EVERYTIME a
non-approved application attempts to access the outlook address book
(due to all those worms a while back that did this unhindered). All
MAPI apps are already approved to access the outlook address book and so
that warning will not appear.

If you need to do the above then you will need a Java API for MAPI and
as I mentioned in my earlier post, I only know of J-Integra that
provides that capability.

On the other hand, if you want to be able to access Exchange's Global
Address List (and get uncached and up-to-date data) and you want to
provide your own graphical interface (as in you don't want the Outlook
address book interface) then you can query the address book information
yourself. The actual entries are *not* on the exchange server but on the
active directory server. An Exchange address list is just a LDAP query
itself that Exchange stores so that you don't have to worry about always
adding a new user to the list; the query is auto-populated.

If you formulate your query correctly then you can get all the Contact
objects or just all objects that have an email address or whatever you
want. This does not require MAPI and only requires, in your case, a
Java API that can talk LDAP. JNDI in Java can do this and in fact I have
written an application (and continue to work on it; it was my senior
project) that talks with various LDAP directory servers (ADS, OpenLDAP,
Sun) using the LDAP protocol.

Based on that, you could do something very similar and provide your own
GUI. My program hasn't been publicly released and I don't expect to be
until the first of the year (fully functional but I'm adding a bunch of
features I want in before it goes public).

Decide what data you need first and how you want to present it. This
will dictate whether an API (such as JNDI) is already out there or if
you need to license one.

brandon