Getting a AD user name ...

David Lozzi

Howdy,

I have an ASP.Net 2.0 web application for which all i need to do is grab the
user's login name. Currently, IIS is configured for anonymous access, which
i need to keep. I tried request.servervariables("LOGON_USER") and
REMOTE_USER, both return nothing. If I disable anonymouse security in IIS it
works and returns my login name.

I have also enabled forms authentication on my application, see below, and i
simply get page cannot be found, which is getting annoying. I don't need to
do anything with AD except get the user name, so using the full membership
class for AD is a little over kill. I am storing all of the user's
permissions for the app in the application using basic session strings. But
i'll do what it takes. Any ideas??

<connectionStrings>
<add name="ADConnectionString"
connectionString="LDAP://delphi.local/CN=Users,DC=delphi,DC=local" />
</connectionStrings>

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms name=".ADAuthCookie" timeout="30" >
</forms>
</authentication>
<authorization>
<deny users="?"/>
<allow users="*"/>
</authorization>
<membership defaultProvider="MyADMembershipProvider">
<providers>
<add name="MyADMembershipProvider"
type="System.Web.Security.ActiveDirectoryMembershipProvider, System.Web,
Version=2.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a"
connectionStringName="ADConnectionString" connectionUsername="delphi\dlozzi"
connectionPassword="12345"/>
</providers>
</membership>

Thanks!!

David Lozzi
Blog: http://www.lozzi.net

Joe Kaplan

Why not just enable Windows authentication in IIS? It is by far the easiest
way to go. What is the attraction with doing forms authentication?

Joe K.

David Lozzi

I did. I don't know why I wanted forms auth... been a long freaken month

Thanks