Getting header of received UDP packet

Philliam Auriemma

Hello,
I am programming an application which will send and receive UDP
packets, however for the received packets I need to be able to read
the header information. Is this possible in Winsock? As far as I am
aware, it strips the header information and just gives you the data of
the packet. If not, would something else do it like WinPCap or
something else?

Ian Collins

Hello,
I am programming an application which will send and receive UDP
packets, however for the received packets I need to be able to read
the header information. Is this possible in Winsock? As far as I am
aware, it strips the header information and just gives you the data of
the packet. If not, would something else do it like WinPCap or
something else?

You'll have to ask on a platform specific group, this is out of scope
for the C++ language. Or google for raw sockets.

Haider

Hello,
I am programming an application which will send and receive UDP
packets, however for the received packets I need to be able to read
the header information. Is this possible in Winsock? As far as I am
aware, it strips the header information and just gives you the data of
the packet. If not, would something else do it like WinPCap or
something else?

This is out of scope of C++. consult Steven's on unix socket for more
theoretical information have a look at TCP/IP by Komer.

Paul Bibbings

Haider said:
This is out of scope of C++.

To be a little pedantic, just in case any reader gets the wrong idea,
it's not "out of scope of C++," but rather "off topic in comp.lang.c++."

Regards

Paul Bibbings