Going back to the top of the page

Adrian

In this code
some code....

How do I deal with the "back" to go to a new .html or to the top of the
form?
Is the code above ok?

Thanks,
Adrian

Jukka K. Korpela

Adrian said:
I have found out how it works. Many thanks.

Find. It's an illusion and the whole goal was pointless, but it's good that
you can solve your problems outside this group (and don't wish to share your
assumed solution with others that might have had the same problem).

As usual, I urge you to use the same forged From information as long as you
remain clueless. TIA.

Jani

Find. It's an illusion and the whole goal was pointless, but it's good that
you can solve your problems outside this group (and don't wish to share your
assumed solution with others that might have had the same problem).

As usual, I urge you to use the same forged From information as long as you
remain clueless. TIA.

<a style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0;" id="top" name="top"></
a>

.... so the 'style' attribute is not good behaviour?
Better is an external style sheet?
And what refers '#top' to? To the 'id' or to the 'name'?

dorayme

Jani said:
<a style="position: absolute; top: 0; left: 0;" id="top" name="top"></
a>

... so the 'style' attribute is not good behaviour?
Better is an external style sheet?
And what refers '#top' to? To the 'id' or to the 'name'?

Usually, it is better to forget about the whole idea of providing
facilities which your browser and keyboard already provide.

Chris F.A. Johnson

Usually, it is better to forget about the whole idea of providing
facilities which your browser and keyboard already provide.

I don't know of a browser that has a top-of-page button.

dorayme

"Chris F.A. Johnson said:
I don't know of a browser that has a top-of-page button.

All my browsers seem to conform to my words (which did not mention
buttons).

rf

Chris F.A. Johnson said:
I don't know of a browser that has a top-of-page button.

I don't know of one that does not. It's usually called the Home key, over
there ---> under the 7 (on a PC anyway).

Chris F.A. Johnson

I don't know of one that does not. It's usually called the Home key, over
there ---> under the 7 (on a PC anyway).

And how do you use it with the mouse?

The point of having a top-of-page button is for ease of use, so
that the person using a mouse doesn't have to switch to the
keyboard.

rf

Chris F.A. Johnson said:
And how do you use it with the mouse?

And how do you type in the URL of the page so as to view it in the first
place *with* the mouse?
The point of having a top-of-page button is for ease of use, so
that the person using a mouse doesn't have to switch to the
keyboard.

IMHO it is far easier to bang on the home button than it is to find (and
recognise in the first place) some random link and then manoeuvre to it with
the mouse, given that I don't even have to actually look at the keyboard to
find the home key.

Are you going to provide an on-screen keyboard emulator so your person can
use that to enter their login credentials?

And how do you scroll down to start with? With the easy to use PgDn or [down
arrow] keys or that pesky hard to use scroll bar (assuming you don't know
how to use your mouse wheel)?

Which brings up another matter, the scroll bar. If you *insist* on using the
mouse then simply use it to lean on the blank bit above the scroller (not
the arrow, the blank bit). In pretty short order you'll be at the top of the
page, so browsers *do* have a built in to-the-top-of-the-page "button". To
hurrry up matters hold down the Shift key while clicking on the top of the
scroll bar. Oh, I forgot, no keyboard usage allowed :)

Chris F.A. Johnson

And how do you type in the URL of the page so as to view it in the first
place *with* the mouse?

How often do most people actually type in a URL?
[...]

What's wrong with offering an alternative that may be faster?

I realize that a top-of-page button is not necessary, but I don't
understand the objections to it.

dorayme

"Chris F.A. Johnson said:
What's wrong with offering an alternative that may be faster?

In some circumstances, it is probably not too bad an idea. In general,
it is best to keep to the simple and easy strategy of not duplicating
browser and keyboard facilities, or we could say, not being in too much
of a hurry to teach people how to use their browsers or keyboards.

I have used back to top link in pages where there is an index at the top
of a pretty long page to article summaries, each link going down to the
summary. Here it is obvious that the user is likely to be going back and
forth between index and summary. But am getting less inclined to do this
even here (perhaps in part out of laziness).

Jani

Then you need to readhttp://www.cs.tut.fi/~jkorpela/www/totop.html
which explains everything that has been said in this discussion, and more.

Wow Yucca! Now you teach me something new! I did not even know before
that there exists a 'home' key!
In times of notebooks I only want to add: 'FN' + 'F11' activates the
small keyboard. Maybe you want to use it for
the ASCII sequences: e.g.: 'alt' + 55 is '7'

Adrian

Find. It's an illusion and the whole goal was pointless, but it's good
that you can solve your problems outside this group (and don't wish to
share your assumed solution with others that might have had the same
problem).

Since you asked in such a pleasant way :)

This was the solution to the problem I had which you
might have taken to be a different problem to the
one I attempted to describe.

<a name = "0"></a>

some code

some code

<b><a name="1">......text ...... <ahref="#0">Home</a>
<b><a name="2">......text ...... <ahref="#0">Home</a>
<b><a name="3">......text ...... <ahref="#0">Home</a>
<b><a name="4">......text ...... <ahref="#0">Home</a>

some code

Regards,
Adrian.

Jonathan N. Little

Adrian said:
Since you asked in such a pleasant way :)

This was the solution to the problem I had which you
might have taken to be a different problem to the
one I attempted to describe.

<a name = "0"></a>

While you *can* use an empty A element for an anchor, that is just
soooooo last millennium! Use an ID attribute and forego the superfluous
empty element.

Now I keep seeing this thought the thread, you cannot have a digit for
the leading character for an anchor identifier:

http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/types.html#h-6.2
Basic HTML data types

So you could have it a "anchor0" or "top" may be simpler. Now to dump
the empty A element... Simply do this:

To the <a href=#top">top</a> of the page because I cannot find the
"home" key!