Good Books To learn C++

psr

I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
want the list from basic to advanced.
Thanks

jeti789

Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 20:00:48 UTC+1 schrieb psr:
I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I

want the list from basic to advanced.

Thanks

I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very good reviews on Amazon for this book:

A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)

Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the one above to get further into the language.

-- Oliver

SG

Am Donnerstag, 21. Februar 2013 20:00:48 UTC+1 schrieb psr:

Check out
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/388242/the-definitive-c++-book-guide-and-list
I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very
good reviews on Amazon for this book:
A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)
Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the
one above to get further into the language.

Be careful with Amazon user reviews. Beginners are not able to spot
technical deficiencies and bad programming styles found in these kinds
of books. If they feel they learned something and were happy with the
style of writing, they tend to give a books a high rating even if the
book in question is considered bad or even harmful by professionals.
It's a shame that one of the popular and best selling C++ books at
amazon.de is one of those that are not worth the paper they are
printed on.

Rui Maciel

I was just surfing the Internet for the same purpose and found very good
reviews on Amazon for this book:

A Complete Guide to Programming in C++
Ulla Kirch-Prinz (Author), Peter Prinz (Author)

Maybe you pick another book for plain beginners as well and take the one
above to get further into the language.

It appears that book has been published over a decade ago. The language has
changed a bit since those days. Additionally, that book is a bit obscure,
and in spite of having been published over a decade ago this has been the
first time I ever heard of it. Are you sure the book is any good?

Rui Maciel

Pinnerite

SG said:
//
//

It's a shame that one of the popular and best selling C++ books at
amazon.de is one of those that are not worth the paper they are
printed on.

Like psr I would like a recommendation of a good book on C++.
Sadly he has received only negative replies.

Jorgen Grahn

I am just beggining to learn C++. Which are the good books to learn C++? I
want the list from basic to advanced.

If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
Bjarne Stroustrup
Addison-Wesley Professional
1 edition (29 December 2008)

I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.

The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.

/Jorgen

Pinnerite

Jorgen said:
If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
Bjarne Stroustrup
Addison-Wesley Professional
1 edition (29 December 2008)

I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.

The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.

/Jorgen

I've just downloaded a free pdf of it and given it a run through. It is
beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I prefer
hard copy anyway but at £40 plus ...

Thanks for the pointer. Regards, Alan

Jorgen Grahn

I've just downloaded a free pdf of it

Free, or pirated?
and given it a run through. It is
beautifully presented. I don't fancy printing all 1200+ pages and I prefer
hard copy anyway but at £40 plus ...

Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
a commercial C++ compiler.

/Jorgen

Puppet_Sock

Free, or pirated?

Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
a commercial C++ compiler.

Or the price of one billable hour, which for me is much more
than the price of one good reference text.

To the OP: You can find helpful book reviews here.
http://accu.org/

Pinnerite

Jorgen said:
Free, or pirated?

I think it was from here:

http://www.4shared.com/document/DsEmhojB/Programming_Principles_and_Pra.htm

but I founds this first:

http://www.plentyofebooks.net/2012/11/programming-principles-practice.html

and it seemed legit. No one in their right mind is going to print 1200 plus
pages in full colour anyway. I only wanted check if it seemed worth spending
£40 quid given that mine is not a long term career interest and having now
seen it, I think that it is. I always try to 'try before I buy'.
However 'progress' is causing huge numbers of bookshop closures so what is
the alternative?
Yeah, programming books are expensive compared to much other literature.
Compare with the price of a decent hard disk instead, or the price of
a commercial C++ compiler.

/Jorgen

Alan

Bill Gill

If you're a beginner, you don't want to know about the advanced books.
Forget about those for a while. Meanwhile:

Programming: Principles and Practice Using C++
Bjarne Stroustrup
Addison-Wesley Professional
1 edition (29 December 2008)

I haven't read it myself (since I'm neither a beginner nor a book
reviewer) but he writes well, knows the language, knows how to use it.

The accu.org reviews are also helpful, if they still exist.

/Jorgen
I have that one and it seems to be a pretty good one.

Bill

Swifty

Does £25.96 suit you better

I liked the look of the book so much that I bought a copy myself. Not
the one in my link (above) but one costing a couple of ££ more, but a
new copy.

woodbrian77

It isn't free, so let's guess. :)

Stolen, but speaking of free I'd like to mention
the C++ Middleware Writer --
http://webEbenezer.net .

It's an on line code generator implemented in
3 tiers. The front and middle tiers are open
source but the back tier is closed source. It
has been on line for over 10 years. This java
code generator -- http://springfuse.com -- has
been on line for about 4 years I think.

Brian Wood
Ebenezer Enterprises - learning how to walk on
economic water.